Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Sewing Until You Quilt It

Hello everyone...I just heard something about an applique technique developed by Ann Holmes called No Sewing Until You Quilt It. I don't want to incite any copyright infringement :lol: but am curious to know if any of you have seen this technique and would be willing to give me an idea of what's involved. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    If you google it, I see the word *french fused applique* in there a lot..... would explain some things

Blog Entries
    humm, will need to google and see if I can find out about it

Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie
    Hello everyone...I just heard something about an applique technique developed by Ann Holmes called No Sewing Until You Quilt It. I don't want to incite any copyright infringement :lol: but am curious to know if any of you have seen this technique and would be willing to give me an idea of what's involved. Thanks in advance!

Just found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKFpuGVNHVU Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Just found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKFpuGVNHVU Looks interesting.
    Didn't get much from the youtube clip --- don't understand why she had to put freezer paper on top a a gradient fabric. Don't quite get where it's going. I'd like to know a little more of what it's about before I would commit $$ to purchasing DVD.

You can't copyright a technique, so no worries there.

It looked to me like the freezer paper was used as a template for the various shapes, placed on the appropriate section of the gradient fabric to get the color that piece needed, and the French fusible was on the back of the fabric pieces. My guess is that these were then adhered in a certain order to a backing fabric without removing the freezer paper until it was all ironed down. It kind of looked like the layers may have overlapped a little bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Didn't get much from the youtube clip --- don't understand why she had to put freezer paper on top a a gradient fabric. Don't quite get where it's going. I'd like to know a little more of what it's about before I would commit $$ to purchasing DVD.
    That's my feeling exactly...the only thing I can find out with any certainty is that the dvd is thirty bucks....I'd at least like to know something about the technique....thanks everyone for posting....

Very interesting.
    The youtube video is not from the designer... so I went to the designer's website http://www.annholmesstudios.com/Ann_...bsite/DVD.html
    and learned even less from her preview except that she was originally a stained glass artist and she has a pretty front door lol. I wish they would have showed a bit more of the technique. I'm now interested in finding out more and possibly getting the video but I agree $30 is a pretty hefty price for an unknown item.

okay, having said that, I just clicked on her lectures and workshops and got a little more info about it. I think I might have to look in to this a little more. I do love art quilts... http://www.annholmesstudios.com/Ann_...workshops.html

It looks to me like she's fusing the top together, but not sewing it until it's sandwiched. Then she sews her applique and quilts at the same time. At least that's the impression I'm getting.
    Curious about the turned under edges though...

French Fuse is a brand of fusible web backed with a soft fabric. http://www.daystyledesigns.com/fabricfrenchfuse.htm

Many, if not most, art quilters that are fusers, do not stitch until the work is all fused simply because if you fuse on top of stitching it shows through as indentations. This "technique" is nothing new.

OK - so she cuts out her pieces, turns under the edges, and fuses them to the french fuse? then quilts that onto the top? how to attach multiple layers though, since the french fuse is only sticky on one side? I've seen pieces sewn with fusable interfacing right sides together, then turned to enclose the seams and fused onto the backing.... but that entails sewing before quilting...

From the videos I still haven't figured out how to do it. I think the videos are only to make you wonder and then buy it. Easy for someone who designed the process but looks like Greek to me.

Carol J.

Of course, she can't show much on video because then you could figure it out and not have to spend money on the DVD.

ugh..... now im curious. http://www.daystyledesigns.com is having a big sale on Friday. They sell the DVD as well as the French fuse, maybe they will be on sale.

I am going to call around and see if I can get that French fuse stuff in town.. if not I might have to get some from Leah's site... I hope that dvd is on sale. I am curious enough to splurge. I am not a huge applique fan but I really think this could sway my feelings about it. At the very least I can donate it to my quilting guild.

I ended up buying the dvd and a yard of the fast fuse... I did find out online that fast fuse is the same as a pellon product they carry in town but I figured that I would get it from Leah this time around....

I got my confirmation email that something I ordered was on back order.. but it will only be delayed by about a week. That's not too terrible.

The sale was - isn't - all that great. It was a $2 savings on the dvd but I told hubby about it and showed him the pictures and he said to order it so how could I not?? :D

Blog Entries
    go to leah days site; she has it there

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    I got my confirmation email that something I ordered was on back order.. but it will only be delayed by about a week. That's not too terrible.

D
    Did you get it yet? I'm curious to know how the finished edges are done :) and what a nice Hubby

Blog Entries
    I just watched the video and found it shows very little of what is entailed. If you bought the DVD let us know what you think and if its worth it.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know more about this? I am thinking of ordering the DVD and some of the French fuse, but would like to know a little more about it. For example, is there some reason why you couldn't do invisible machine applique on the quilt top before layering it?

Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie View Post
    Lol thought you were yelling at me that I couldn't start a new project until I quilted all my ufo's

Blog Entries
    I found out many in my guild did not know the trick of using very light weight fusible on the back of the completed quilt top before adding the batting and backing. It keeps the quilt top smooth and all the seams going just where you wanted them. I use Misty Fuse. It's so soft and thin you can't tell it's added. I fuse a lot of my blocks before sewing. I didn't know it was a new technique.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Here is a good description with pictures of a similar technique: http://appliquedesigns.com/softFuse.htm
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    The appliquedesigns website talks about a stitch-and-turn technique, which would be similar to what Eleanor Burns recommends. The Ann Holmes technique in question does not involve stitch-and-turn. The purpose of the fusible is not to stabilize the entire quilt top after it is done; rather, the fusible holds the applique pieces in place while the quilt top is created.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast