Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No Show Through White Fabric

No Show Through White Fabric

I want to use some sort of white fabrics in my quilts. Sometimes I want white on white and sometimes a solid or plain white to use with 30's prints or a colored fabric. I do not want to see the seam allowance show through on the white when I have pieced the top. It isn't always practical to press to the dark side. So do you have a brand of fabric that gives you consistently good results? Or do you have another way to manage this? Thank you for your experienced help.

most quilters press to the dark fabric, as you said, but if you have to press toward the white fabric, there will be white from the seam allowance that touches the white on the block first, so it' usually not a problem. do a test piece, i think it will be fine.

You can also use a fusible woven interfacing to line the white fabric. This is a tip from Karen K Buckley that I
    use when doing appliqué.

Blog Entries
    Use bright white batting. If you use Warm & Natural, the seam allowances will show through.

Power Poster
    I was advised with using white over a dark fabric appliqué to put another layer of fabric with it. I usually use WOW fabric for piecing or press away from the white.

Blog Entries
    Using white batting usually makes those white seams disappear.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Using a white batting will essentially create another dimension of "white on white". I think you may actually like it. But I'll bet you won't notice it on that galloping horse that we talk about from time to time!

One of the reasons I press my seams open is because of the white on white issue.

I've recently been working with some of my white-on-white prints many which are basic Joann level but some are quilt store level -- some of those are glorious for not showing through!

No Show Through White Fabric

More so than a seam allowance showing, I'm often concerned that a loose dark thread might shadow through white fabric. So I always use the best quality solid white fabric. This is my most recent quilt. No shadowing even with Prussian blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anita Grossman Solomon

Beautiful quilt, Anita!

Kona cotton whites are a really nice thickness for not showing through... or Moda Bella Solids or Dream Cotton from Marshalls. Three of the best.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    the closest to opaque white-on-white i have ever found are the Moda Muslin Mates.
    they are pricey, but worth the $$$ for a truly special quilt.

no matter the price, every other brand i have looked at in person is very easy to see through between the "on white" places.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

The white on white that came in a Be Colourful kit was wonderful! No idea of the brand however.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I use Kona snow white fabric. It is not as see through as other white fabrics.

I'm partial to the Northcott premiun solids with Soft and White batting. Northcott solids are hard to find so I purchase thru fabric.com online. I have never noticed the shadow, but like AnitaGrossmanSolomon, I have more issues with stray threads.

I like Kona white muslin when I want solid. Otherwise, I chose my white on whites wisely. So far, so good.

I really appreciate your suggestions. I had forgotten to consider a white batting. And I appreciate the specific brands that have worked for some of you. AnitaGrossmanSolomon, your quilt is wonderful! Thank you for sharing it. I will have to give several of these a try and see how it works for me. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaGrossmanSolomon View Post
    More so than a seam allowance showing, I'm often concerned that a loose dark thread might shadow through white fabric. So I always use the best quality solid white fabric. This is my most recent quilt. No shadowing even with Prussian blue.
    Oh Anita, this is a show stopper. Truly gorgeous.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp