Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No Shut Off Iron >

No Shut Off Iron

No Shut Off Iron

Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 AM
mac

I find the 'auto shut-off' irons a real pain and so very frustrating. Yes, you can flatten your iron so that the auto shut off doesn't engage, but what a hassle. I usually find that when I start to use the iron, it has just turned off a few seconds before I need it and I have to wait. Yes, they do heat up quickly, but I hate waiting -- when I am in the zone, I am in the zone and waiting is the worst. It breaks up my concentration and it slows me down.

I do have an older iron and I plug it into the wall socket that shuts off when I turn the lights off as I leave the room. Since it is an automatic thing for me to turn off the lights as I leave a room, I don't worry that there will be a fire if I forget to turn it off. And, if per chance, I don't turn the light off as I leave the room, the fact that the light is on is a reminder in itself that I forgot the iron is still on.

On another current thread about irons, someone wrote about the silicone iron pads that they have now and you can put your iron flat on and they don't burn the ironing board. This way your iron always stays on. They are inexpensive and I purchased some with a coupon at JA fabric to give as gifts to my quilting friends.

By the way, I just checked JA and irons and also the silicone pads are 30% off today.

Last edited by mac; 07-28-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by lzeider View Post
Are there and No Shut Off Irons at a reasonable price? I get so frustrated when my iron shuts off and I want to press a seam.
I had shoulder problems and had to stop using my regular iron. I found a small light portable steam iron at Hobby Lobby that does not shut off and I love it.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:20 AM

I just purchased a very nice fry iron for $35.00 on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Continental...sid=m570.l1313. So far I really like it. To answer a concern about leaving an iron without automatic shut-off, I plug it in to a timer that will go off whenever I have pre-set it to do so.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:41 PM

I have a terrific little steam iron from Walmart...$6.99 no shut off...and it steams so well, l get a facial while pressing !
Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 PM

I would like an iron that I can program to shut off when I wanted. Like setting it to turn off in 2 hours.
While we're at it, I would like my washing machine the same way. I might want to wash the clothes longer than 12 minutes.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:12 AM

I buy vintage irons at thrift stores all the time for about $3. I have about 5 because some day they won’t be there.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

You might also check Goodwill and other consignment shops. I'm sure they would allow you to plug it in and I wont think its to hard to replace the cord. I did it years ago.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:53 PM

I have a Rowenta Professional Iron that does not shut off at all. I plug it into a Century mechanical timer that I can turn to anywhere from a few minutes to 12 hours and it will then turn off automatically. I love this system. My sewing room is in a separate building from my house so it is necessary it turns off if I forget. I usually turn it to 2 or 3 hours - or 1 or less.... and it does not turn off while I work to quilt or make stuff. So irritating when it does!! I do not like the digital timers as they are too cumbersome but the mechanical one is simple, easy, cheap and has never failed in past years I have used it. My husband came up with the idea! I'm a happy quilter! (and wife!)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:11 AM

I grudgingly admit that a shut off iron is a good idea for me. Yep, I am easily distracted etc. Oh, well, I do find if the first thing I do when I go back to the ironing board is to pick up the iron and shake it a bit, that the heat is usually back on by the time I have arranged my fabric on the board. So, it really isn't a big deal. I do have to get up from my sewing machine or cutting board to get to the ironing station....this is a pain also....but it really is good for me to have to get up. I usually stitch up as much as I can before moving to the ironing board, and then press as much as I can before moving back to the sewing machine or cutting board. Works for me. Oh, and I am using my little black and decker quite a bit these days although it does not get as hot as the Rowenta because it is lighter and I am getting creaky.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:48 AM

Judging by everyone's reactions, I am again an odd duck. I like the auto shut-off.

I just got a Black & Decker Evensteam a couple months ago when my other iron suddenly found itself on the floor and the main housing for the water was cracked beyond repair. The Evensteam has an auto shut-off, which I wasn't aware of until after I got it in my hands. Depending on the quilt I'm working on, I also use a Clover Mini-iron. If the iron has already shut-off, I move it so it starts to heat up and while I'm waiting, I'm at least setting the seams with my mini-iron. By the time I'm done with the mini-iron, the Evensteam is already cranked up and ready to go, then I give the block a proper press and steam.

Considering the countless times I've left other irons on overnight that didn't have an auto shut-off, I'm glad I got one with it.