Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • No stash -- on purpose?? >
  • No stash -- on purpose??

• No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM

I can't even begin to imagine life without my stash. When I am ready to start another project, I have something there without having to run to LQS or Hancocks or JoAnns or Hobby Lobby or WallyMart. OR online even....for I do have a landscape quilt project designed both on paper and expansion and revisions in my mind as well. Already have fabrics from previous projects and stash, but have to admit saw two fabrics online yesterday that I thought would be great enhancers so I ordered them. I love my stash!
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
    Does anyone not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE???? I just finished talking with a co-worker who is also a quilter, and she told me that she doesn't have a stash. She said she used to but found it too depressing to go into her sewing area and see all the -- what she termed -- unfinished projects (meaning the fabric in the stash that has not been used). She only buys fabric when she has a specific project she will be making. She brought in a quilt to show me that she had made for her nephew when he was young. She said she had taken a class for that particular quilt, and when she was finished, she asked if anyone wanted her leftover fabric. The women were agast that she didn't want to keep it to add to her stash. They were even more amazed that she had chosen NOT to have a stash. :| When she does see fabric that strongly appeals to her, she will purchase it and make the quilt right away. Get this: she used to work at a fabric store!!! Once upon a time I worked for Minnesota Fabrics, and I could not resist buying fabrics as we would get in a new collection!!! I don't know how she does it!!! She certainly has much more willpower than me!!! :roll: I do have a stash. It's not huge, and I "shop" from it first when gathering fabrics for a quilt. If I don't have something that will work for the quilt, then I will go shopping for what I need. :wink:

So-o-o-o the question is: do you not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE?? :?
    Well, I used to have a stash...at least that is what I called it... until hubby said I had enough to open my own store, so now I call it my merchandise. Of course, it's not for sale.
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM

You know, I do have a stash and frankly, it is pretty large. In fact, it can be kind of depressing too. I think I can understand how your friend feels. I have gone through the stash within the last year and weeded out fabrics that no longer appealed to me - and I am thinking of doing it again. I have more material than I will ever use and sometimes feel overwhelmed by the stash. It is good to have the choice but it almost feels like going into a huge grocery store and having too many choices! I MUST be getting old! My attitude about a lot of things in life has changed the past couple of years!
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM

But the minute I get rid of something hardly no time passes when I miss and could have used it for this reason or that. That is why I love my "merchandise" as mentioned above!
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 PM
    Power Poster

I don't think I could function without a stash, even though I still go out and buy fabric for a quilt without 1st looking through my stash. For a while I had to stay out of fabric stores because I always had to buy something or some things. I am now begining to look at my stash when I think of making a quilt but still have to go to the fabric store to see what they have.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM

I always tell people that I am building a big stash now while I'm still working because with the cost of fabric I probably won't be able to buy much once I retire in June of this year. I love being able to go to my stash and pick out everything I need for my next project.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 PM

Don't know how she does it. I'm trying to finish a quilt now, that I haven't had to go buy anything so far to finish.
    That in itself has been challenging. Will have to buy fabric to get the binding done. I have to have fabric here to work with. Local prices unless on sale are practically unaffordable. I buy when on sale, and when I see something I like at a good price. It's a pain to live in the boonies, and have to drive an hour away to find fabric. Very inconvenient. I like to be prepared as best I can be.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 PM

My friend gave me a huge amount of odds 'n ends and quilting magazines to get rid of it all, even though she & the others who thrown theirs in with hers were still sewing. Guess they just wanted to start fresh. So as a brand new quilter, I got a ready-made stash. I made my entire first quilt, a king-size Cathedral Windows, from those tubs (scrappy, obviously) and used a bunch more on my second quilt, a king-size Tumbling Blocks. STILL have a lot of it but hopefully will get a couple more scrappy quilts from it.
    Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 PM

I have a stash - a large one - but you know I am rethinking my buying habits. I love scrappy quilts so why am I buying all this yardage? I've started always checking the remnant bin before I leave JoAnn's and I'm getting quite a collection that way. :thumbup:
    Old 01-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Nancy, I understand so well your comments. Before joining this board, I was beginning to worry about myself. Just to touch good feeling fabrics and see all the beautiful designs is so exhilerating! I always go shopping from my stash, unless I see something that I just can't live without. If I could stay off this board shopping I would surely not have as much. However, I buy some beautiful fabrics at really good prices here. Thanks everyone.