Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Thread??

No Thread??

I know that most of you have been sewing and suddenly realized that you ran out of bobbin thread or your top thread broke. I went through one quarter of a throw (60 x 72) and was at a corner of a binding when I saw the loose fabric.

my question is how much longer did you think you were sewing before you found out there was no thread.

I think the most I have gone was about 8 or 9 inches. The least was.....are you ready? I caught it right at the second it ran out.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I think it was about 12 to 15 inches for me when I was doing some chain piecing. My old Singer machine has a little light that comes on when the bobbin is getting close to running out. I LOVE that feature! Wish all machines had it.

A few times I have gone maybe 2 feet. If I think I might be running low on bobbin thread, I take it out and look before starting a row of FMQ. I try to remember to look to see if I have stitches every so often.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have a low-bobbin indicator but it sometimes doesn't work. In those cases, I might go about half a mile. lol
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I have a low-bobbin indicator but it sometimes doesn't work. In those cases, I might go about half a mile. lol
    me, too. sigh.

Blog Entries
    most time it isn't far. I seem to notice the change in sound when the thread runs out.

Blog Entries
    I'm right up there with the others - about 1/2 mile!

Blog Entries
    me too. My machine "plays a new song" says my 6 year old grand daughter.

My machine stops and beeps to warn me that my bobbin is getting low. I can usually continue for another 5 inches of so. Unfortunately I usually seem to have 6 inches to sew at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    I'm right up there with the others - about 1/2 mile!
    One time I was chain piecing and was so excited to be nearly done with a huge pile of squares until I noticed over half weren't sewed. I have no indication of when the bobbin runs out and my hearing can't allow me to notice slight sounds.

This is a neat thread about thread. My old Singer had a metal plate that I had to slide out to see the bobbin. My Brother has a plastic one, and I just have to lift the fabric slightly to check. Still, I sometimes run out. Isn't it irritating though, to look and realize that what you thought was done, is not?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I can usually tell by a change in sound when the bobbin is running out on the longarm, and on the Bernina I can tell after it's out if I'm listening and paying attention. But all too often I'm not paying attention, so I sew a mile before realizing. It's particularly irritating when the fabric has been pinned "just so" and the pins removed after the stitching without thread.

Been there all too many times. I usually notice when turning a corner-the top thread just lays there. Actually, my machine changes sound, but, I don't always notice. However, just like Murphy's law, it never happens in an easy spot-always when precision pinning was.

Ugh.....not to complain, but this is a major irritation for me. I need to do a better job of checking my bobbin....and each time I run out I swear I will. But then I get "into it" and ...well....forget. Too much fun sewing to stop and check something like that.
    But....oh do I feel your pain!

Usually I can tell the difference in the sound of the machine when it runs out but not always.I have probably went a foot or so. I would love a indicator on my machine telling when the bobbin is low. Great feature!

I used to zip along and do my best ever sewing with no bobbin thread. At least I never had to rip those seams out! Now, I recognize the sound difference from bobbin threaded to bobbin no longer threaded, so catch it fairly quickly.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Happened to me today while doing some straight line quilting with 12 wt thread.. I went more than 2 feet before I realized my bobbin had run out. Starting back up mid-line was not an option since there would be no easy way to disguise my stop and new start with such a thick thread. Fortunately, it was easy to pick out the stitching all the way to the beginning so I could start that line over....

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

One of my machines has the bobbin low light feature. I rarely notice it when it comes on, just another light on the machine with all the rest that are lit up. The top thread I notice because it will loop.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    It's like discovering you missed the turn when your mind comes out of the chain piecing "haze" to realize you should have "turned right" back at that gas station 8 miles back! I do it all too often. I'm a big block piecer and longarmers everywhere are my best friends! Let's don't think about how this must feel to my wonderful longarmers. I am into "production" for my charity quilts so not getting the seam together at the first shot can really interfere. I have looked up (awakened!) to discover a couple of dozen big blocks not joined or more.

Still I smile, drop back and punt (as my football player husband called it), replace the bobbin, and reestablish my process. BECAUSE it beats the heck out of ripping out even one seam! I hugely dislike unsewing.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

I get really irritated when this happens because I'm not paying attention. When I'm chain piecing I can go quite a ways.

The most I have gone is half way down the binding on a baby quilt. That last half and i would have been finished.

The worst was when I sewed two rows of 12 blocks together with an empty bobbin. The irony was that the bobbin had run out just after I had finished sewing the last two rows together.

I would love that feature on my machine.

I hate to admit that my non stitches went several feet before I noticed and I have done that multiple times. duh!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast