Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No too expensive Beginners Sewing Machine???

No too expensive Beginners Sewing Machine???

I've going to auction myself off....or a least my knowledge. I want to put together a package for our school auction, where I will auction myself off to teach quilting or sewing. I wanted to add an inexpensive used sewing machine in the package and I thought I could find a descent looking one that worked well on Craigslist. I'm not having much luck. Most are either out of my price range or look like they haven't been gently used. So, I thought I might try a different route and start looking for a new machine ($100 or less, I could go a tiny bit higher). I'm finding it difficult to choose in this price range, they all seem so wimpy. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Micha

Blog Entries
    Kenmore has some great portable machines under $100. I don't know if the Sears stores still have them in the store but they are on the website. Simple and easy to use. I found this new Kenmore for $60 on the website. Good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/6ugecex
    Got fabric?

I would look for an older sewing machine. For example a Singer from the 50s or 60s, nothing newer than that for a Singer. The new machines for $100 or less are mostly junk.

Blog Entries
    At an auction, a new machine will bring more bids then a used looking sewing machine unless it's a FW and the bidders know what the heck they are bidding on.
    Got fabric?

the lower priced Brothers are actually quite nice. I've bought a several (CE 4000, CS 6000, CE 5500)for my DDs and they really love them. THey do mostly quilts with them and have had no problems. They all run abit more than $100, but for the money they are nice little machines. check Eaby or overstock and you should be able to find them at a reasonable price.

I would check with a reputable dealer and see what they might have used, or a repair shop. Ask them for the best deal, including the info on the auction...they might knock off a few bucks for charity.

I have been enjoying my low price mechanical Brother sewing machine for going on 8 years. It is not fussy about thread and sews through almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    the lower priced Brothers are actually quite nice. I've bought a several (CE 4000, CS 6000, CE 5500)for my DDs and they really love them. THey do mostly quilts with them and have had no problems. They all run abit more than $100, but for the money they are nice little machines. check Eaby or overstock and you should be able to find them at a reasonable price.
    I have to agree, I got my XL-3500i on overstock.com for $109 refurbished, it has never given me a lick of trouble, have had it for 5 years. However if you do go overstock, try it right away because I had to return the first machine because it wouldn't start, because I hear of people buying machines, not using them then they try them and they don't work and its been too long to return them.I also have a brother for 180 that I got from walmart new, absolutely love it. Have had it about 6 months.

Blog Entries
    I think you have a terrific idea and I hope you are successful in finding the right machine for your budget and for the auction. May you be richly blessed by teaching and with whom bids the highest on your auction.

I just happened to look on ebay for a machine for our local quilt guild and they have several brother machines for $129 and they are the project runway model? I don't know how they are but brother sure has a good reputation from what ladies on here say. I have been debating on the same issue for quite some time. Good idea you have though.
    Michelle

Allbrands has some Janome-made Kenmores on their site right now for < $100.

http://www.allbrands.com/

Contact your local quilt/sewing machine store to see if they have any 2nd had machines for sale in your price range. Also, sometimes schools sell off machines at the end of the school year. I'd avoid buying a machine from a discount store - like Walmart - because they are the low end machines - price and value wise. And I'd avoid buying from Craig's list too - no warranty with them.

Blog Entries
    That's a great idea. I hope you will let us know what the final bid is. So much fun.

I did this one year at my DD's school auction. I donated four hours of sewing lessons at my house on my machine. The person who bought me, so to speak, bought the lessons for her daughter. The girl, Jessica, wanted to make clothes for her American Girl doll. That's what we did. Later, her mom acquired a machine for her. It was a test-drive, so to speak. If she liked sewing, she could take it further. If she didn't, no harm done and no major investment

A few years ago I taught a friend to sew. Her husband had me find something under $200 so I found a Simplicity SA1100 American Denim Sewing Machine for 169.00 at Walmart. It came with a tote bag project and extra feet. It was a nice machine. I just looked on Simplicity website (googled Simplicity Sewing Machines) The machine is onsale for $129.00. Good Luck. Teresa

Blog Entries
    That is a very nice thing to auction, good creative idea.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I agree, a vintage machine is the way to go. My students that have cheap machines from 'big box' stores always have trouble with them within 3 years. There is no service available at those stores, and warranty service is not available from dealers, with good reason. A dealer or private sale is a good way to get a nice, older machine.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    I was just on Overstock.com and they had quite a few machines for under $100. You might check them out. And the shipping is supposed to be $2.99. Hope you find something. It's a good thing you are doing.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I agree with the new brother I have several machines and my cheap brother has been a stand by for several yaers it just keeps on sewing if you get one with only a few basic stitches they are not that expensive

Yes, you can buy a Brother on sale for around $100.00. Watch the sales at Walmart and Hancocks. And, if you talk to the store manager at Walmart and explain why you are buying the machine, he might give you a really nice discount. Good Luck.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    Allbrands has some Janome-made Kenmores on their site right now for < $100.

http://www.allbrands.com/

I look at these, they look like something that might work. Thanks!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I saw something on allbrands that might work. Anyway, I still have about a month to decide on something, the auction is in May.

Love my Brothers!

I have two Brother machines. I use one for piecing, quilting and regular sewing and my second machine does all this, plus embroidery. I am really happy and satisfied with both of them and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone! Both of them were purchased from WalMart, because WalMart had the lowest price and I wanted $$ to purchase fabric, quilting supplies, embroidery patterns and thread!

My husband surprised me with the Brother 1/4" piecing foot for Christmas and it has made a tremendous difference in my piecing. He ordered it from Amazon.com for about $5.00.
    Last edited by Shelia; 02-15-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    Shelia
    "just pray for a tough hide and a tender heart" Ruth Bell Graham

I bought a singer for about 79.00 (about 15 years ago) but even then it was concidered a "cheap" machine. I used it for years and passed it on to my daughter who still uses it and it is still running great. My next sewing machine was a 89.00 singer from Walmart about 4 years ago. Still being used by my granddaughter.
    Patimint

According to my husband, he spent around $100 for the Viking Emerald 118 he gave me for Christmas four years ago. It has not caused me any trouble at all, runs like a champ, and handles bulkier seams with relative ease. It sounds like you have a ton of good suggestions here (I like the idea of introducing them to older machines or checking with a local guild) so I am sure you will figure it out. Good luck and what a great idea to auction off your knowledge. Way to pass the torch!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."