Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Non Metal Needles >

Non Metal Needles

Non Metal Needles

Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM

John James is really quick to respond to questions about the content of their needles. Hopefully she'll have better luck finding nickel-free quilting needles than I had trying to find nickel-free applique needles. I went on a worldwide search & checked with all the major needle manufacturers as well as a number of smaller needle makers that I read online or was told by various people were "nickel-free". To this day, I haven't found one. I have to carefully manage how much time I spend at a time doing hand work & was given a special protocol & topical steriods + topical NSAIDS by my dermatologist to manage the contact dermatitis I get that causes my hands to severely swell when working with needles. The plating rubs off when you work with it so if her allergy isn't only to nickel but to other metals as well, she will need to find out what is in the core of the needle, too. Gold & platinum are likely both too soft to make an entire functional needle out of. I believe JJ said their gold/platinum needles have a steel core.

Anything is worth a try, but I tried working with latex fingertips & with AloeTouch gloves but couldn't hold onto the needle properly with either one. I guess there must be something that works since surgeons hold needles & stitch all the time; I just haven't figured it out yet.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 PM

Even better, the non latex. Thks.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I guess there must be something that works since surgeons hold needles & stitch all the time; I just haven't figured it out yet.
Surgeons use needle drivers, instruments designed to hold surgical needles whilst they suture.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Surgeons use needle drivers, instruments designed to hold surgical needles whilst they suture.
Hmmm... wonder if something like that could work with sewing needles since they're not curved like surgical needles. Would be interesting if they did. Personally, I was surprised with the number of people who are allergic/sensitive to nickel that there isn't even a nickel free option. They make nickel free earrings using SS, but I was told that for some reason no one uses SS in sewing needles. I will definitely be following this thread as a thin needle made with some non-metal material would really be fantastic for people like me with a nickel allergy. There are definitely non-metal needles (plastic, wood, bone) for yarn work, but I've not heard of that kind for working with fabric & thread.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

WOW, what an interesting topic. I hope she is able to find something that works for her.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

There is always machine quilting. I know dental implants are titanium because being allergic to titanium is extremely rare. That's why implants are expensive, the titanium used.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:44 AM

Maybe she could buy and use the finger cots that physicians use for examinations. I buy mine at a Walgreens or a medical supply store--don't buy the ones sold at Quilt Shows as they put only 5 or 6 in a bag and charge you big bucks. They roll onto your finger and each one lasts a long time. I actually give my beginning students one to use to pull their needle through the hand quilting. Of course, the girls laugh uproariously when I pass them out.
They do come in different sizes too. Oh, I have also found them in large quantities in the hospital pharmacy.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Maybe she could buy and use the finger cots that physicians use for examinations. I buy mine at a Walgreens or a medical supply store--don't buy the ones sold at Quilt Shows as they put only 5 or 6 in a bag and charge you big bucks. They roll onto your finger and each one lasts a long time. I actually give my beginning students one to use to pull their needle through the hand quilting. Of course, the girls laugh uproariously when I pass them out.
They do come in different sizes too. Oh, I have also found them in large quantities in the hospital pharmacy.
Nitrile gloves will replace latex--mechanics use them and they have to hold instruments and small items (nuts,bolts, etc)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 PM

I agree with the nitrile gloves. I got the best ones I own at qvc...they come in a 3 pack for less than 20 dollars. I can pick up teeny tiny things with them on..all nitrile gloves are not made equal..some don't allow the fine grip/feel, some do..I had to experiment a lot before I founf the ones I like.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:34 PM

My mom used to get a rash from the back of her watch. We would coat the back with clear nail polish. Maybe she can spray the needles with polyurethane...keeping a thread in the eye to make sure the eye stays open. One needle sacrificed to the cause would be worth it to try out.