Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
None existent British quilting >

None existent British quilting

None existent British quilting

Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SazuBMidlands
Originally Posted by alwayssmiling24
I live in Coventry so could be nearish to you as you have said you live in Staffordshire? I buy on line and am only just starting a bed size quilt. Up till now I have only made tote bags and cushions..
There is a quilt shop just off junction 16 M6 called the Bramble Patch and they have day classes and the Quilters Guild run groups, have you looked to see any near you?
Chris
I think the Bramble Patch might be J16 M1, not M6.
I tend to use one in Whitchurch, Shropshire. However I also periodically use the Cotton Patch in Birmingham (Hall Green), or White Cottage in Seisdon (sp?) nearish Wolverhampton.
More over Staffordshire way theres a small place at Amerton, and theres a good one at Arkwrights Mill in Derbyshire?

Which part of Staffordshire are you?

Do you read any of the UK quilting magazines? Theres generally a fair few shops advertised in those.
Sarah x
Hi Sarah
Yes you're right it is the M1!! A senior moment!! I live in Coventry, I have recently bought a quilting mag and I'd tell you which one but I can't find it!
I have also bought a Debbie Mumm book and it is fantastic I have just ordered some fabric to make one of the quilts from it .
I shopped around on line and saved myself a few pounds.
If I didn't spend such a time on my laptop I 'd have a lot more time to sew!
Chris
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Bev

I shopped around on line and saved myself a few pounds.
If I didn't spend such a time on my laptop I 'd have a lot more time to sew!
Chris
Isn't that true of all of us!

:lol:
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Hi, and welcome. We left the UK in 1981 and "patchwork" was being advertised, but it was the English piecing (not surprising!) and I didn't like it - where you slip stitch the pieces together on the top after pressing the seams to the back. I couldn't get my stitches not to show!

I often buy an English quilting magazine just to take a trip down memory lane looking at the adverts and wishing I could visit every shop. We just had the best winter I've ever experienced in Florida - nice and cold. Everyone else was complaining, not me!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

England has a great many fabulous quilters whose work appears often in our magazines. The ones that come to mind are Deidre Amsden, who began the colorwash craze and Pauline Burbridge.
http://www.quilthistory.com/ukquilts
http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk
http://pandqmagazine.com
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

I am alone to, as I got stories but no money to buy fabric, classes or any thing else. but I am not alone as the wonderful people on this board are helping me make my dream come true on learning to quilt. as they have given me there scraps and other quilting items. I am disabled and still waiting to hear from SSS. so there is no money. but the wonderful people are my friends and help me with any problems I have. so you are not alone you have most on the board the are just beautiful people and you can learn from them. God bless. Penny
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM

I love women and am so proud to be one - the kindness you all have shown to Bev (and you, too, lost in 51), making her feel so welcome really warms my heart. I love how we cheer each other on and encourage each other! This is the greatest forum ever!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM

I looked up the British quilters and they are not any were near stafford so she couldnt go to any meetings there it may look close on the map but it is not .Those small villages are small came from one 37 years ago keep quilting dear we are here for you
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Forgot to mention Ginny Rayment from UK. She does fabric folding - all kind of way cool stuff - and she is a real hoot! Saw her on Simply Quilts and she taught a sunflower folded wallhanging - beautiful!