Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not all Charm Packs are 5" squares

Blog Entries
    I noticed while browsing on the net...not all charm packs are 5" squares. I found some that were 6 and 6 1/2 inches.... I just thought I'd pass this on in case you are buying them as take along projects and are depending on them to be the usual size :D:D:D

I wonder if this is going to be a new trend? or just another option?

I had wondedered on the size myself. I was once invited to do a charm quilt, and we had to cut the squares either 6" or 6 1/2". But when I went to make some hotpads like someone on the board had shown some she had done, I looked up charm packs to see how big they were, and I found 5". I do find it interesting though that they come in differing sizes.

Some are a bit smaller, too.

Blog Entries
    I did see one that was boxed up and advertised as "mini" charms I think they were 1 1/2 inch squares :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I did see one that was boxed up and advertised as "mini" charms I think they were 1 1/2 inch squares :shock:
    Somehow I just can't imagine making a big quilt using 1 1/2" squares -- and still being half sane when I got done :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I looked up postage stamp quilt once :shock: and although it was gorgeous, I could not see me making on of those either LOL

Blog Entries
    LMBO I just remembered a few months coming across a box of these sized squares...there had to be a few hundred of them in there... and it was packaged in an old box that checkbooks were sent in LOL

Clotilde has some that are 4" and 6" and I was surprised by that.

Thanks for the heads up Amma.

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Somehow I just can't imagine making a big quilt using 1 1/2" squares -- and still being half sane when I got done :lol: :lol:
    I have several hundred, (thousand, maybe?), of 1 1/2" squares that I plan to make "something" with....probably a lap size. And yes, you may need to send the men in white coats when I am done!!!! LOL Actually, I am looking forward to it as I see so many pretty ones done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzazz
    I have several hundred, (thousand, maybe?), of 1 1/2" squares that I plan to make "something" with....probably a lap size. And yes, you may need to send the men in white coats when I am done!!!! LOL Actually, I am looking forward to it as I see so many pretty ones done.

I think the sewing would be kind of fun but the cutting would drive me crazy!!

Can't wait to see your quilt! :D

isn't there some way you could strip piece and postage stamp quilt? and, do the piece have to be 1 1/2 square. I've seen postage stamp bigger than that.

Blog Entries
    I think the true postage stamp quilts, each stamp is a different fabric :D

Hmm... My understanding had always been that a charm quilt was made of all one SHAPE piece, in which you didn't ever repeat the fabric... (hexagon, diamond, square, triangle, rectangle)....

I think the manufacturers sell what they call charm squares and 5" just kind of happened....I know nickel quilts would use only 5" squares to start with....

or, I could be wrong...(although THAT'S never happened before... :lol: )

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Some of them have pinked edges too. Something to consider before buying,

Blog Entries
    I don't care for pinked edges myself, and in some of the packs it is hard to tell if they are.

That's exactly what I"m doing, though. I have a zillion 1 1/2" squares - the smallest square I wanted to work with while organizing my scraps and stash. So I'm now using them as leaders and enders, matching darks to lights, and when I get a bunch done (the pile keeps replenishing itself while I work on other projects), I'll start making 4-patches with them. Eventually they'll become 9-patches, which will be 4.5" blocks. I'll use my 3" squares - I also have ton of those - and will trim them to 2 7/8" - to make pinwheel blocks that will also be 4.5" squares. Eventually I'll have a quilt - all made of leaders and enders. For more info on this method, visit the site previously mentioned above - Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville - quiltville.com. But you're right - maybe I'll be insane by the time I'm done!

Charmpacksplus here! I think "charm pack" has just become a generic term, like Kleenex, for packs of fabric squares, it doesnt matter the size or if they are all different or not. MODA is the main manufacturer of charm packs and has an item called "charm packs" that are five-inch squares. The squares in the Moda packs USED to be all different and the number of squares in the pack were determined by how many prints in the collection. Some had 20, some had up to 50. Moda's newest charm packs all have 42 squares in them, but there may be some duplicate fabrics in the pack. The edges are pinked to prevent fraying but it's a small pinking so it doesnt really matter. They are die cut. Some individuals also cut squares to sell from fabrics of their choice, mostly on ebay, and call them charm packs. Some are rotary cut, some are die cut. Some are prewwashed and steam pressed, some are not. Always read the description to see what's in the pack - size, number of squares, all different or not, brand of fabric, etc.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the info :D:D:D
    I have vision problems, and it is harder for me to sew a accurate 1/4" seam line when a good portion of the edge of the fabric is missing.
    Plus, with small seam lines, and the fact that I mainly make utility quilts, it make me nervous when the edges are pinked. Even more so on some charity/baby quilts that are frequent/to daily laundering....

Blog Entries
    Since I have used several dozen of these Moda charm packs, I can give some info here. The pinking is really small, and just on the very edge, so the size is a true 5", and it really doesn't effect lining up the edge. I use them to make bags, and as whole squares to make smaller quilts, and to cut into smaller pieces. I like them because of the variety of prints you get.

I had no idea charm packs came in any other size.

Blog Entries
    thanks for this information!

I noticed while browsing on the net...not all charm packs are 5" squares. I found some that were 6 and 6 1/2 inches.... I just thought I'd pass this on in case you are buying them as take along projects and are depending on them to be the usual size :D:D:D

I wonder if this is going to be a new trend? or just another option?

how about cutting "layer cakes in fourths to get 6 " squares ???
    just thinking of another way of using available things !

Thx.

Blog Entries
    Are they making these in 12" squares now too? I don't shop often for precuts...so I haven't been looking for a while :D

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mcw1947
    how about cutting "layer cakes in fourths to get 6 " squares ???
    just thinking of another way of using available things !

Thx.
    I also thought the layer cakes were made up of 10 inch squares.

They could be cut into 5 inch squares.