Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt >

Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM

It's lovely, and I really love the original photo too.

I think the red pot draws your eye immediately, instead of blending in like it does in the photo, and the grass in front has a little too much texture.

Your mountains are perfect and you did a wonderful job on the building itself.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM

I love it, but think the flowers (purple and white) are too big...just bring them forward in the pic and do the rail fence and it will be perfect. Can I have it??? LOL!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings
I think it's beautiful. maybe you just need to put it aside for awhile and work on something else. perhaps this project has muddled your mind ;) taking a break will probably help you get your PROPER! perspective back. Again, it is amazing. Great job!
This is very good advice. I'm thinking of starting over with a less complicated image. I have just the one in mind.
Don't start over...you will be amazed :shock: at what thread painting can do to a picture!!! Also, Leah Day uses paint sticks on her quilts that really change the look. Play with it and have fun!!! We all want to see the end product cuz it's gonna be wowzer!!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Maybe someone has said this already - I didn't read all 15 pages of replies! - but what I noticed is that the closest mountain behind the house continues to the left side of the house in the photo, but not in your quilt, and maybe this is what doesn't feel right to you? Just a thought...
Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM

I think that this is fabulous; if I had to change one thing it would be to soften the white in the house, maybe make it more gray. I could never do what you've done; it's beautiful!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 PM

I think you are doing a much better job than I could. The only thing I see is the hills behind the house that are light look more like snow than the photo which seems to have a deep lavender hue. Maybe changing that to a darker hue would give it more depth. Then add the rail fence too. Great work!!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I think your details may tone down the busy. What you have done so far is lovely, so don't be at all discouraged, it just needs to be finished. Details are always what finishes them up.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM

Well I think it is absolutely beautiful.
The only thing I would say is that my eye was drawn right away to the white in the building. I probably would just tone the white down with a neutral to blend in a bit more. But keep it up - it is a real nice replica of your original picture and will be a nice memory.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
It sure looks good to me. I think you are doing a great job. Maybe the tree and the flowers are too big. The house seems to be taller in the picture. But what do I know. I still think that you did a very good job on it. Brenda K
I would agree with the size of the tree and flowers. But it is a lovely quilt and I think you are doing a great job. If you like it, I would leave it alone, but since you are unhappy with how it is turning out, I would try the adjustments of the house (make it taller) or make the tree & floweres shorter. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM

You've done a good job!!!!!