Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
not so square blocks from my go cutter >

not so square blocks from my go cutter

not so square blocks from my go cutter

Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM

I agree that the fabric needs to be starched and pressed before cutting, also, the cutting mat needs to be fairly new.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Hmm, I used a new mat for about half of them and then switched to an old one because it seemed to be so hard to turn the handle. I wondered if the new mat was thicker but no, the old one was tough to put through as well.
I will have to go and check and see if some of the blocks are OK. The twelve that I have used were all cut with the older mat.
I used best press. Would regular starch work differently?
I will try the paper tonight and see how that goes.
Might have been too many layers. I cut 5 at a time.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am determined to learn to like the go but so far I do great with some things and just get frustrated with others. And you just know that murphys law dictates that the messed up blocks are from the fabric that is older and I don't have extra. I am using the blocks anyway.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:59 AM

I had this problem with the 2 1/2" die that cuts about 12 at a time. I called AccuQuilt and was told to make sure the folds of the fabric and the label on the die were facing my stomach. I do that and the cuts are perfect. I found the customer service at AccuQuilt to be very helpful. If all else fails, maybe a call to them will help. Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 AM

Thanks Sophie2, I will try that.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 AM

How many layers of fabric did you try cutting at one time? This will (if you do too many - ie: the max number they say you can - is too many), make some of your blocks out of shape. Also is the straight of grain going in the same direction on all layers? This too will make some of the blocks come out of shape (speaking from experience - lol). I just tossed the out of square blocks into the scrap bag, to be used to fill in on crazy quilts. Good luck
Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 AM

I have the same problem. I have a die that should cut two 3-1/2" squares, but they are 1/4" small on one side.

I assumed it was from fabric shifting or stretching and tried all sorts of things with no luck. Finally cut a single sheet of paper, made sure the paper cuts lined up exactly with the blades (so verified that nothing shifted during the cut), and measured the paper. The DIE is definitely off!

I bought it new, but from an Etsy seller. I haven't bothered to contact Accuquilt because I assume they won't do anything about it. I checked the die at Joann's and the ones being sold new appear identical to the one I bought (same serial numbers, same graphics) so I don't think a new die will be any better. I suppose I should try Accuquilt, just to see what they say, but I am prepared to be disappointed.

My other dies are fine though. I have a 3.5x6.5 and a 1.5x3.5, and a 4.5" square and those are all precisely correct (I checked, with more paper). Just this one is bad.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM

This has happened to me as well, thanks for the info Sophie.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have the same problem. I have a die that should cut two 3-1/2" squares, but they are 1/4" small on one side.

I assumed it was from fabric shifting or stretching and tried all sorts of things with no luck. Finally cut a single sheet of paper, made sure the paper cuts lined up exactly with the blades (so verified that nothing shifted during the cut), and measured the paper. The DIE is definitely off!.
I had a semi professional paper business, and have been dealing with accucut for about 20 years. they do occasionally manufacture a bad die. This is why I suggested the OP cut some paper & verify the die is accurate. I check all my dies as soon as I get them. I would also say that it's more apt to happen with the plastic backed GO! dies than- the heavier duty wood (Studio) ones. I have had excellent success with their customer service, however, so please give them a chance to correct it.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I have had excellent success with their customer service, however, so please give them a chance to correct it.
Yeah, I suppose I should send them an email; I don't expect much (partially because I can't prove it was new, I doubt the Etsy seller is a registered Accuquilt dealer) but maybe they'll surprise me and go the extra mile. It is one of the plastic backed Go dies.

I'm not terribly upset about it, at least I was just using it to process scraps so I didn't waste a bunch of precious fabric. It does make me a little leery about dies in general, though, even though only 1 of the dies I've bought so far have had an issue. The rest are all dead on. If I do buy more, I think I will just have to make sure to test them right away and not just assume they'll be accurate. And probably stick to buying from official dealers, LOL.