Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Your Grandmothers quilt >

Not Your Grandmothers quilt

Not Your Grandmothers quilt

Old 11-06-2022, 12:06 PM

Default Not Your Grandmothers quilt

Hi Everyone, I bought the book not your grandmothers quilt in hopes to make a diamond log cabin quilt, and I must say the directions are not easy to comprehend! She has a youtube video, which is not to much help either, I was looking to find either a template or better instriuctions, can anybody enhance on this? Thank you in advance for your time...Grace
Old 11-06-2022, 10:23 PM

Don't know anything about templates for a diamond LC.... I paper-pieced mine, which made it really easy. And accurate.

Dunster, another member on this board, wrote up her own pattern for a diamond log cabin, maybe she can answer a question or two. Turquoise Diamond Log Cabin Star quilt finished

Last edited by Peckish; 11-06-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:52 AM

I found this: 60 degree diamond template it was also in their quilt pattern for their Diamond log cabin quilt and tree skirt
I don't know if this is the size listed in the Not Your Grandmothers Quilt or not. I'm sure other sites have this template as well or perhaps different sizes. (yes, in doing a google search, other sites also have the 60 degree ruler.

In looking up Not Your Grandmother Quilt Log Cabin, I found this video: Not Your Grandmothers Log Cabin Quilt Video and this: Not Your Grandmothers Log Cabin Quilt by Marci Baker (not sure if this is the one or not in your book)

In watching this video for the Marci Baker quilt, it says that it uses a 60 degree diamond ruler

Last edited by quiltsfor; 11-07-2022 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:06 AM

Okay, in watching the video, it isn't the diamond ruler (though it can probably be used) instead she uses the 60 degree triangle ruler. Lots of places carry this ruler as well.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

If it is a pattern by Marci Baker, then I know it is hard to understand. I have tried two of her patterns and wanted to give up. The directions are not easy to follow.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:45 AM

I paper pieced it like Peckish. For me it was the only way to keep it correct shape.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:45 AM

Default not your grandmothers quilt

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Okay, in watching the video, it isn't the diamond ruler (though it can probably be used) instead she uses the 60 degree triangle ruler. Lots of places carry this ruler as well.
Well to add to this frustration is the fact in the book are templates that she says are the exact measurements and unforutantely they don't measure up
Old 11-07-2022, 08:16 AM

I've had that problem before. I found that one of my Olfa frosted rulers was 1/8" of an inch off. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you get 4 or 5 blocks in, and suddenly you're an inch off. Again, one of the reasons why I paper piece. Have you considered paper-piecing it?
Old 11-07-2022, 08:19 AM

it seems that will be my only choice....thank you