Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Novice quilter seeking wall hanging ideas >

Novice quilter seeking wall hanging ideas

Novice quilter seeking wall hanging ideas

Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 PM

What about a Row by Row quilt? That is, one row of a block, a another row of a different block, etc. until it's the length that you need. You could use 3 6" or 5 4" blocks in each row and then a 3" (or 2" if using the 4" blocks) border on each side to get the 24" maximum that your space can hold. Please PM (private message) me if you have any questions; I will be glad to help size down a favorite block (or blocks) if you find what you love but not in the smaller size that you need. Or I can just answer any questions that you have! :)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM

I love the fabric. I can see a long, skinny wall hanging. I would cut out some of the large chickens and applique them on the fabric that looks like like chicken wire, create 3 blocks like this, then use some of the fabric in strips and make 4 sets of blocks sew with the hens blocks every other one, use a fabric as a border, and another fabric as the binding. Sew up the left overs to use as the backing. This should make a beautiful hanging.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by poultney
I love the fabric. I can see a long, skinny wall hanging. I would cut out some of the large chickens and applique them on the fabric that looks like like chicken wire, create 3 blocks like this, then use some of the fabric in strips and make 4 sets of blocks sew with the hens blocks every other one, use a fabric as a border, and another fabric as the binding. Sew up the left overs to use as the backing. This should make a beautiful hanging.
Sounds cute. Thanks!

I can't quite picture it in my mind yet, but I'll make a sketch per to your description. I saw a quilted "hen" pillow with black and cream checkerboard (1" sqs.) sashing/border. I think that might work for this - and give it a quaint country look. What do you think?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by Greenheron
Hatched any ideas, yet?
Oh, dear! You couldn't resist, could you, greenheron?

Beautiful fabric! Good luck with your wall hanging! The chickens will be a nice change of decor!
No, I've been brooding over this question for quite a while.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Uh, I don't know what to do with it, either, but I'd love to have the fabric. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe a long strip quilt. You could put in a row of rail fence, a row of sunflowers, chicken wire, row of the small chickens, a row of 'feed sacks', a strip with a barn or chicken house pieced in the middle, row of fence and then a big piece of the chicken wire with fussy cut hens appliqued, and then....well, your turn to think of something.....

Magpie, thanks for the link. Great hens & roosters. Now I'm going to look at what else they have.
LOL - did you read that I consider myself a novice quilter? ;-) You're about 6 projects ahead of me. Most of what you're describing would be applique work, right?

I'm cooped up out here in the desert heat with time to consider your egg-septional ideas! 8-)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by geckos42
OK, I don't know what possessed me to purchase this stash (1/2 yd. minimum of each) but I did. I have no idea what to do with it. I'm not really a chicken person (but it's SO PRETTY)...and thus it begins...I admit to a fabric addiction!

I began quilting in February at the age of 60 & I have a lot of catching up to do, not to mention a lot of expertise to gain.

I live in Arizona and my decor is strictly southwest (earth tones, serous Native American pottery, no pastels, geometric Native American designs/rugs, etc.). My wall art is also limited to southwest and Native American images. And, now I have this collection of chicken fabric calling to me to "DO SOMETHING" with it.

My first thought is to make a wall hanging for the dining/kitchen area. It can't be more than 24" wide (my only "free" wall space can't accommodate anything bigger).

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears/eyes!

Thanks for this quilting board. I'm single/divorced & this is my only connection to the outside world. I learn so much from reading your hints, suggestions, questions, solutions, etc. - not to mention how I admire the photos of incredibly gorgeous quilts that make me drool! You're so inspiring!

Thanks in advance for your input.
If anyone's seriously interest in the fabric, I listed the main components:

The fabric with the large chickens is Cranston Village.
The smaller chickens is Timeless Treasures Fabrics, Inc. (Debi Hron).
The chicken wire is Morning Serenade (Grace Pullen), licensed to SSI. The beige with burgundy, green, rust and brown squares with stippling, is Summer's End by Kansas Troubles Quilters for Moda. The the design name from other 2 rust-colored fabrics was cut off at the time of purchase, but both are Moda Fabrics. One is by Barbara Brachman. From the other, all I can tell is the pattern # is 5955. Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Joanie2 made a row by row. If I can attach, it will give you an idea of what we are suggesting.

Each row is different. Yours could be much simpler.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238170[/ATTACH]

kd124 posted this one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238175[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238164.jpe   attachment-238169.jpe