Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Now that was dumb

Well as long as we are all in the same boat here....as I was hand quilting a quilt for a few hours got up to move my hoop and realized i had quilted my shirt to the quilt.....as said thank goodness for rippers....LOL

Great stories, it shows that we all so stuff like that. I have a hard time stopping what I'm doing when I hear something strange-I'm working on the "Stop now and check it out!" part. It will save me lots of time.

Great stories, it shows that we all so stuff like that. I have a hard time stopping what I'm doing when I hear something strange-I'm working on the "Stop now and check it out!" part.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt1717
    I just FMQed part of the corner backing underneath the quilt! Thank goodness for rippers!
    I'm even worse! I did it when straight line quilting! :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Oh No!! Please forgive my chuckling... I have FMQ'd scraps to my backing before :roll: :D:D:D
    Ditto here.

Blog Entries
    I sewed A strip of Bias tape on the back of a quilt block. Left some of it there and cut off the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsewer
    LOL, you gotta check on those strange noises! Congrats on FMQ, I've done a little but still get nervous.
    DITTO !!!!

I made my son and his wife an anniversity quilt for their 10th. Daughter in law told me she felt something sticking her from the quilt!! Since I pin base I must have left a pin between the layers. Thank goodness it was a safty pin and as long as she can keep it closed it will be fine. Since they live in Florida and I'm in Maryland I can't (wish I could) just go down and fix it for her. But from now on I watch carefully where I place all my pins while basting! Especially when most of my quilts are gifts! LOL

Thanks for sharing, it made me laugh, with you, of course, not at you. Keep on FM quilting! It is fun, isn't it? Well, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chaskaquilter
    So I am into my first attempt at FMQ, doing a meander. Stitches aren't all perfect, but I am having fun. I hear a strange noise, but as all is going well, I ignore it. Short time later I decided to check noise. I had FMQ a pamphlet for my Swivel Sweeper to the back of my quilt. Don't remember seeing that on my table when I started quilting. But sure had a time picking out the stitches and getting the darn thing off the back of my quilt.
    Where's that Damn cat! Bet she did it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm at a loss to understand a lot of the shorthand "initials" used on the board (FMQ, LQS, etc).
    Has anyone compiled a translation list of some kind that can be reproduced here? Subject matter helps decypher some, but other times I'm just stumped.
    Thanks
    Janet

I feel your pain! I have stitched my little cutting mat (2"x6") to my blocks several times while paper piecing. Not to mention scraps, blocks, etc. Frustrating and kind of interesting the things that can be picked up with fabric, but that's the hazard of a slick surface with "stuff" around!

Quote Originally Posted by mhunt1717
    I just FMQed part of the corner backing underneath the quilt! Thank goodness for rippers!
    I did that too! I had quite a bit extra instead of the normal couple inches and it got folded underneath. Drat!

I sewed through the HEAD of a flower head quilters pin acouple of weeks ago. I had a heck of a time getting it out! Needless to say, it dulled my needle and had to replace an almost new needle!

A few weeks ago, I sewed two dollar bills to the back of a costume I was making my grandson. Good thing I saw them- the one whose dollars they were would have been awful mad when they disappeared!

Blog Entries
    Sorry for laughing out loud about this. i think we have all been there and onde that, whether FMQ or just plain piecing blocks. I have FMQ'd part of the rest of the quilt before, plus other scraps on different ones. I feel for you. At least yu can probably see the stitches better on the paper, than on fabric.

Oh no!

I was showing a finished quilt at "show & tell" at a guild meeting & when the back was turned toward the audience I heard someone starting to CACKLE. She was turning red & people were patting her on the back. When she finally recovered she said it just struck her funny that I had appliqued a few leaves on the back of my quilt and she was thinking of the time she did that to cover up a boo-boo & thought I might have done the same. (She was right)

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Don't feel bad. I sewed my FMQ slide to my quilt! This one you are suppose to tape it down & I had just laughed at a girlfriend for doing the same thing! Needless to say I had to rip also!
    omggggg yesterday i quilted my slider to the back of a quilt!!! i cant believe i did that , wasnt going to say anything until i saw you did it to !!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJMac
    I'm at a loss to understand a lot of the shorthand "initials" used on the board (FMQ, LQS, etc).
    Has anyone compiled a translation list of some kind that can be reproduced here? Subject matter helps decypher some, but other times I'm just stumped.
    Thanks
    Janet
    Janet FMQ is free motion quilting and LQS is local quilt shop. Sorry, we forget about new ones on the board. I don't know if there is a place on here that lists all of the abrev. or not.

Why do I always find these threads after my husband goes to bed? I'm chuckling so much I might wake him up. And please know you are not alone. :oops:

That one is classic! :lol:
    I usually show most of my stupid side when cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Don't feel bad. I sewed my FMQ slide to my quilt! This one you are suppose to tape it down & I had just laughed at a girlfriend for doing the same thing! Needless to say I had to rip also!
    I am guilty of this also, I really felt stupid. I least it still works well.

That is why I never let my grandchildren or great grandchildren into my sewing room LOL. This sounded so like me, I had to check the avatar to make sure I hadn't posted it. At least you would know where the swifter sweeper brochure was if left it there.

Blog Entries
    Fun to read all these. Our little boo-boos make life interesting and give us all a chuckle after we get them repaired.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast