Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOW I am using cutting gloves >

NOW I am using cutting gloves

NOW I am using cutting gloves

Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Default NOW I am using cutting gloves

Last weekend I cut a thick bacon slice off my left forefinger while rotary cutting. Fortunately my DIL is a physician and I live with them so I was in good hands. Still it took three days for the bleeding to stop when changing the dressing since it was so deep. YES, it HURTS!
Here's the really, really dumb admission I have to make. My son was in the Coast Guard until this summer and he gave me his Kevlar lined gloves to keep my hands safe while cutting fabric. The label says that they are Hatch SGK100 gloves and, now that I finally got around to googling them, they are used both in the military and law enforcement. Apparently they are capable of handling even the blades of knives in confrontations. LSS, I have been wearing them since and they are very flexible and comfortable. I like them much better than the other ones typically sold to quilters for cutting. Yep, had a set of those in the drawer, too. DUH! These Coast Guard issued gloves have a surface that really grips my rulers. I love my son and I'll be wearing his gift for cutting from now on.
Note to anyone out there with cutting gloves in the drawer: They work much better if you WEAR them! Please spare yourself some agony and learn from my mistake.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:33 PM

I had the same thing happen to me about 8-9 years ago. It's why they don't let me handle sharp instruments any more! (Just kidding!) I was rotary cutting late one Sunday night & sliced off the tip of my left index finger. It bled like crazy. I went to work on Monday & it was still bleeding. I work with nurses but when my supervisor saw all the blood, she sent me to the ER. I still joke today that if you're bleeding to death or dying, don't wait for anyone at work to help you. Anyway, they couldn't reattach the severed piece of flesh (don't remember why). I have learned to keep my fingers out of the way.

I never heard of cutting gloves, though, so I will have to look into this.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 PM

I have tried the gloves like I see on F&P and they just don't work for me because they feel clumsy -- these Hatch gloves look like they are probably a lot better.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Ouch!! that makes me cringe just reading your post!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Ouch is right! I feel your pain. In the 70's I worked in an advertising department, and we used exacto knives and hot wax for cutting and pasting. Sliced my fingers many many times! Hot wax wasn't much fun either!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 PM

Good advice. I should take it as I often think about a slipping blade when using my cutter and pull my fingers in.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if there has been any testing on the F&P gloves?? They just feel so much like gardening gloves.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

It's not a matter of if but when an accident will happen if you use a rotary cutter often. I use the Quilter's Slidelock or a cut resistant glove every time I cut with a rotary cutter. It's not worth taking a chance. The trauma of a bad cut is hard felt. I make sure it won't happen to me.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:09 AM

Oh dear, I hope you heal quickly. I am glad you have a plan that will prevent this from happening again. I need to do that too. Thanks for the reminder.

Dina
Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 AM

I too have cut the tip of my left index finger. My DH took me to ER. They stitched the tip back on, but it wasn't to save the tip... It was to save the nerves. And this is what I am impressed with as it healed beautifully..