Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now Walmart has material back, does anyone? >

Now Walmart has material back, does anyone?

Now Walmart has material back, does anyone?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 AM

our wm has it. some good some bad
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM

We still don't have fabric back at out Walmart.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 AM

There are three within a hundred mile radius from me and i've check at all of them, not a large selection but what I have found has been good quality, there is some thin stuff too
Old 11-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Since my main source of fabric is from Walmart I was glad when they stocked the fabric department fully again. Our LW was one of the luck one to have kept its fabric department, we've always had it on the bolts. Since they've expanded the fabrics we have probably have twice the amount of bolts. Plus there are pre-packaged and $1 fat quarters. The only complaint is the few workers in the dept. there is hardly ever anyone there to cut fabric-they're usually stocking another department. I learned long ago to program Walmart into my cell phone! I usually give a look around and 10 minutes before I call the store from within the store But to have fabric this conveniently located and competely priced I can wait.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Default Ours looks like decent material

I have only been in two of our local four WM stores, but looks like a very nice dept. Here is a pic of part of it. Very very nice, sad there was no one around to help cut but it was early when I went in.
Attached Thumbnails wm.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Have used the fabric for many years (some of my stores still had some left). You have to watch it and know what you want to use it for. I wouldn't use it for a competition, but for swaps, wall hangings, table toppers, quilts for sale and family I use it all the time. I try not to mix LQS with Jo-ann, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart in a project. The non LQS fabric does fade a bit faster with washing, at least here where the water is very hard and 'recycled'. Others won't use it no matter what, but that is their choice and their pocketbook....
Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 PM

I buy it all the time, they have great fabric in our store. I like the bright colors, and they have a lot. It's about the same price as Hobby Lobby.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Our Walmart has a pretty nice selection and got some nice groups of quilting cottons in when they brought fabric back. I don't buy much there because I live in a small town and like to support my LQS, as it is a very friendly shop and always eager to give us a place to meet for our sit n sew at no charge. I'm not criticizing anyone for buying WM fabric - this is just my preference as I really don't want my LQS to disappear! They've also held the line on pricing despite the increases elsewhere.

It is really nice to know I can go to WM no matter what time it is (think 3 am the night before I need a gift ready) to pick up batting, thread, Pellon, backing and notions.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Agree I do like to support the LQS where I can.
I got enough fabric that I need to stay out of all of them for the next yr or two anyway, but I won't
Old 11-12-2011, 05:38 PM

I don't buy my quilting fabs from WM.... It may look the same, but it's not for the most part. What we learned while working at the quilt shop is this.....the manufacturers do 4-6 differnt qualities of fabric...sort of like threads.... They will run the same prints on blank fabrics....as the fabrics get closer to the end the "worse' or lower the fabric quality becomes. WM buys the best deals they can get to pass the"savings" on to the public. Buy a piece of fabric at WM and then go to your local quilt shop and find the same fabric and feel the diff in quality! Not to say that all their fab it end runs, but please be careful whn purchasing and the same can hold true with Hancocks with their sale fabs on the big tables.....Just a word to the wise!