Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Now what do I do? Dog ripped batting loaded on LA-half done w/King quilt

Blog Entries
    spray baste to the rescue - trim the existing batting and measure the area, then cut a new piece of batting and spray away. follow the directions
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    My Ddog came in my sewing room and was so excited to see me that she jumped up to greet me (whiche we are training them NOT to do). She missed me and jumped on the batting floating on the long arm where I was quilting away. It ripped a huge jagged hole in the batting. I was in the middle of quilting a king size quilt. They have always enjoyed laying in my sewing room while I sew or quilt, but I have never had an issue with them until now. So, now what do I do with the batting already loaded on the quilt and on my long arm? The hole is about 12" around and jagged/stretched.
    Time for hand stitching for repair,as for the dog every time it jumps up to greet you,barely step on his back paws while he is in the up.I was told that for my Australian Shepherd and it work like a charm.Don't hurt that much just lightly step on them.He or She will get the message pretty quick.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Well...i'd just get rid of the dog!!

How about shooting the dog? Just kidding. I think I would cut out the circle and iron on a bigger piece to patch it.

I have had stitched the edges back together and it worked out fine. My DGD caught her foot in the batting one time when I was working on a quilt.
    Jeanie

I have a dog that has literally destroyed a couch, a door (yes, an actual hanging door!), TWO recliners and numerous small things. He's one of "those" dogs! But, he's so doggone cute, and I knew what I was getting into, so I couldn't be mad. He's a boxer and all this was done before he was one. Boxers are bad to chew when they are young, and this guy didn't get training like he should.

He got into a bag of batting I had that fit the quilt top perfectly, and ate a hole in it, literally ate, I never found the piece! I did what others are saying, cut a square, used basting spray and once quilted it was fine.

I still have to be careful with him. He's twice had to have things removed that he's swallowed! He will eat literally anything. Just today , I took a pop can from him, happily chewing away in the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    I would cut the rough/stretched hole out of the batting. Cut another piece of batting 3" or so bigger than the hole. Spray baste the outer edge of the patch and smooth into place over the hole. Good luck.
    I also do agree with this method!
    Sondra

Blog Entries
    You can make the patch blend in well if you leave the hole edges thinned out - wispy like. Then cut your patch bigger than the hole and pull the edges so they fray wispy like too. Lay the thinned edges overtop of each other. Then you won't have a visible or feel a bulge where the patch is.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

The new fusible tape to fix that problem works well. You'll need two people: one to hold a backing support while another irons the fusible in place. Should do the trick.
    SandyQuilter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2