Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Now what? Quilt is an odd size.

Hi all, I really need to read the book "Quilting for Dummies". I made 32 9" square blocks that made a pretty diamond pattern. Put them together, added 3" borders and because I jump into things without thinking them thru, I ended up with a quilt 78" x 42". I think it's too big for a lap quilt and too small for a twin bed. It just hangs over on each side 3". I am almost out of material so I can only add 1 more border. Any ideas??

can you post a picture so we have a better idea of what you are working with?

I make them about that size and call them "nap" quilts..big enough to take a nap under but not big enough for a bed...folks like them better than the smaller lap quilts. I might add a little more border to the sides to make it a little wider than the 48 inches and leave the length the way it is...

The top of a twin size mattress is 39"w x 75"L. Sounds like it would be just enough to cover the bed. Just add border if you want it to be wider.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Not all quilts need to be on a bed. Some are on a chair, a couch, a lap, a picnick basket....... I would make it a little wider too to even the proportions.

I think it sounds like the perfect size to put across the back of the couch for those cool nights. 42 inches is wide enough to cover you and 78 allows you to tuck it under your feet. At 42 inches you can also use one width of fabric for the backing.

Blog Entries
    it would be perfect to snuggle up with on the couch!
    sometimes adding a border to make it bigger" looks" like you added a border to make it bigger. clear as mud? lol

I think it would be great to have in the living room to cover up with.

I made a quilt like that years ago....still use it around my shoulders on those cool mornings sitting at the computer. Just enought to keep the chill off. Enjoy it. Remember, there is never a bad quilt...just a quilt that is a little different and that is why we love them the most!!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a perfect nap quilt size. Not too big or small.

buy more fabric!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ohhh you clever thing you, just made a "Nap" size !!
    Toss it on the couch or hubbies chair and it will be used, or take to the next family get together pull it out and complain. Sure will have several offers to take it off your hands :)

Call it a bed topper, and put it over the end of your bed.

Make it into a "snuggle bag" and put yourself in it on cold winter nights. Kids will be delighted to use it as a sleeping bag, too!

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    I think it sounds like the perfect size to put across the back of the couch for those cool nights. 42 inches is wide enough to cover you and 78 allows you to tuck it under your feet. At 42 inches you can also use one width of fabric for the backing.
    There times when you need a quilt that you can pull up around your ears on those cold nights, just to add extra warmth. Fols it in half and lay it across the bottom if the bed for easy access.

Thanks for the encouragement--You all made my day. Now to finish it and then take a nap under it. I guess I have to learn to think out of the box. Have a great day!