Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
now what >

now what

now what

Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

i agree, got the LQS and get some tips.. take a class ask for pointers.. Find a sewing buddy..
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 PM

You need to take some sewing lessons and maybe join a quilt guild. Keep posting on here to get tips and advice. I know it helps to talk about things. You sound very overwhelmed and just need to exhale and relax. It will get easier.

Last edited by Ladibug; 01-29-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 PM

Take your pieces to your LQS and ask for advice and tips. Please post pictures of the front and the back so we can see what your issues may be. Ask a lot of questions of others at your LQS -- there is a wealth of information out there and people are willing to help. I highly recommend the book Quilter's Academy 1 by Harriet Hargrave. It contains a wealth of information. If you read it and make the quilts in the book your skill level will be amazing. Good luck in your quilting venture.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 PM

I AGREE. go to a local quilt shop that will help you with your project. for the price of $10 you sure can't beat that. I think a larger store in lansing Michigan even have hours scheduled for people to come in with whatever project they need help with. and I don't think there was a cost involved. not sure. correct me if am wrong. but gee, if you spend $150 for kit + backing and batting. they shouldn't care.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 PM

There is only one thing perfect about my quilts; the love that goes into them!

I made a kit that was all flying geese several years ago. No two flying geese were shaped the same when I completed them, and I felt exactly the way you do. It went into the closet for about 1.5 years, then I took it out and sewed them together. Ugh.

Convinced it was beyond saving, I put it out of sight again. About a year later, I broke down and completed it. Guess what? It's pretty. Not "perfectly" pretty, but warm and inviting pretty. Now all that I have left to do is binding.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 PM

I am using the Harriet Hargraves system of "Quilting Academy". In it, she walks you through all of the different skills needed. You do projects, and each project is designed to utilize a skill from the last project and a new skill, so you get to practice. This is helping me more than I can say, and I've been revitalized into: "Of course I can do it!"
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I have said the same things many times. Finally I came to realize I enjoy the process and love what i am making. With this cold weather I have been spending a lot of time in my sewing room. Yesterday I pulled out a quilt I started years and years ago before I had 1/4 inch ruler because I had drawn 1/4 inch lines on all the pieces. I mean really a long time ago. It was a little wonky in spots but I had such an enjoyable afternoon with it almost skipped dinner. I love my quilt even if it has oops in it. I have a lot more knowledge about quilting now but I am still keeping this one.
Sometimes things get better sometimes they don't. It's the enjoyment you are having at the time.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 AM

You say your background white is not making the "path" it should be? Maybe you simply have a few on your HST or fg going in the wrong direction....... Check out your " layout" of the design.....don't panic yet....... BUT, and I don't mean specifically you, we are not all meant to find quilting to be our end-all adventure.......I have gone "through" a few crafty try-outs before landing here, happily........and here I will stay!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Hang in there! We are our own worst critics. It's probably not as bad as you are making it out to be.
If you really want to improve, I agree that taking a beginning quilting class is a great way to go, even if you have been quilting for a while. You will understand what the instructor is saying and can ask good questions.
Other than that, remember that there are 3 things that will help with your precision:
Cut accurately. Cut the whole project with the same ruler, or at least the same brand of ruler.
Check your seam allowance. Good idea to recheck if you use a different fabric or thread from the last time you checked as your needle position may need to be changed:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
Press carefully. Even though I've sewn for years, I still have to watch that I'm not pressing a tiny fold at the seam line!
OK. Maybe there are 4 things: as you make your sub units (HSTs, flying geese etc.) measure these as you go. IF the sub units are the wrong size, your block won't go together.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 AM

I recommend Quilt In A Day methods. Eleanor Burns always comes up with the best way to make blocks. Most of her methods use oversized blocks that you square up to size.
Since using her methods my blocks are always perfect. I really like her way to make HSTs eight at a time.
Watch her videos on the website, they are free.
Oh yes, do make sure to test for an accurate quarter inch seam. If you sew 3 strips togather and the middle strip comes out the right size you have done it.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 01-30-2014 at 06:05 AM.