Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NY Beauty piecing help >

NY Beauty piecing help

NY Beauty piecing help

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Very creative. You really know how to use the EQ I just don't get it. My son-inlaw works with it and designs some for me. A older women show me how to paper piece and made it easy for me, but you really need to be shown in person. Too bad we are miles apart would love to show you. Hope you find someone close to help you. Oh and I love your bio pic. If it was a pattern I sure would like the name of it. Thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

On a lot of EQ's print outs, I have found if I use a scant 1/4" I don't lose my points. Or I use my ruler to cut a bigger seam allowance and then use a true 1/4" seam.

When I do these curves, I pull the paper off and then sew the pieces together. The paper seems to get in my way and it can shift on the curves. I put the solid piece on the bottom and the pieced on top, as the unpieced always seems to want to stretch more. But I know others who do the opposite LOL

I also only pin at the beginning, end and middle. The more I pin, the worse it turns out it seems. The last curved pieceing I did, it was suggested to just pin the beginning and it was the best I had ever done... but that could have been a fluke, too LMBO I had to try different feet and methods on scraps to finally find what worked best for me :D:D:D
Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
Very creative. You really know how to use the EQ I just don't get it. My son-inlaw works with it and designs some for me. A older women show me how to paper piece and made it easy for me, but you really need to be shown in person. Too bad we are miles apart would love to show you. Hope you find someone close to help you. Oh and I love your bio pic. If it was a pattern I sure would like the name of it. Thanks
That is another design I did, called "Quetzel's Cabin"...

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/...2b0c3522be.jpg[/img]
Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
That is another design I did, called "Quetzel's Cabin"...

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/...2b0c3522be.jpg[/img]
That is gorgeous!!!! I need that pattern tooooooo!
Old 05-22-2010, 03:40 PM

You sure do make beautiful. Wished you lived closer I would love to share ideas with you. I Just closed my quilt store so I have the fabric now I need your ideas. Thanks for posting pic.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 PM

That will be beautiful!! I have never tried a NY beauty, so can't help you there!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Oh, that is just such a beautiful quilt!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

That is a pretty pattern. I've never tackled those blocks so I'm no help.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 PM

I see your ideas are beautiful,wish I could help. Theresse
Old 05-24-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
That's very creative. I like your borders, very inventative. The only way I've done the curved borders like your cornors were by paper piecing. I can't think of another way that would work, atleast for me anyways.

Idea! Have you tried PP'ing the curves individually and then sewing them together?
How do you paper piece a curve? I haven't got that to ever work for me. The zig-zags are all straight line, so I can do those PP'ed.
When I printed out my pattern onto paper I printed out as many as I could get on the sheet. Then I cut them out individually. I just layed my fabric on the paper and sewed on the line. When all was said and done TA-DAH!!! Just make sure though that you have enough fabric to compensate for the seam allowance and don't try to skimp on the piece of material that you sew onto the paper. I tried getting like right on with the material (frugal/cheap) and just ended up screwing myself up. A little bigger is better and then trim down and sew on the next.

Make sense? :? If I've confused you, PM me.