Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW cut out remorse >

OBW cut out remorse

OBW cut out remorse

Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Those quilts are striking, the colors so bright and happy, love the fabrics, I have done Stacknwhack ,have the book but haven't done the OBW going to have to look into this method,
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

You could pretty much quilt anything into it. You could even be sneaky and quilt a picture into it.

I recently got a book on 2 and 3 line quilting that I would love to try on one.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Originally Posted by sandybuttons
find the blocks wonderful, but......I would realy like to see the flying monkeys hehehe
That's just my favorite saying from the Wizard of Oz of course. I think it tends to settle down a subject. And the flying monkeys are rather cute.
I have a little sign hanging in my office that says "I Have Flying Monkeys And I Am Not Afraid To Use Them!"

Its right next to "Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Free Puppy"
Both of these are so cute. Now I have two more sayings. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM

KAS - Love both of the OBW's. Wow.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Hang in there, like all the otheres said, it will all come together. I bought a piece of fabric on sale, not sure if I could do this project, but the toughest part was the stacking of 6 layers. Got through that, and loved putting the hexs together.

Then when I started hanging them on the wall, I realized that mine weren't as distinctive as yours are, so I have to arrange mine in an offset pattern with a solid dark color between them. And it has made the blocks pop.

When you get all your blocks done, and start laying them into the differnts color combos, you will be amazed at the beauty of it all.

I am trolling the fabric shops looking for just the right fabric. Could you post a picture of your original fabric, please? It would help me know more of what to look for. Keep on sewing, it will come out wonderful in the end.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Both the finished one AND the WIP look great to me! My challenge with these quilts is - How in the heck do you quilt them OTHER than an all over meander??? I think meandering is great, however I tend to prefer actual patterns on my personal quilts....so.....I get lost for the OBW's.
I agree - that's the challenge, because there are so many seams. I'm in the process of quilting. I THOUGHT
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Both the finished one AND the WIP look great to me! My challenge with these quilts is - How in the heck do you quilt them OTHER than an all over meander??? I think meandering is great, however I tend to prefer actual patterns on my personal quilts....so.....I get lost for the OBW's.
I agree - that's the challenge, because there are so many seams. I'm in the process of quilting. I THOUGHT
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I agree - that's the challenge, because there are so many seams, and no matter what you do, it's not going to show with all the designs in the fabric. I'm in the process of quilting a OBW. I THOUGHT I would FM spirals, but it didn't work, so I'm SIDing the hexagons. If I was in CT where my embroidery machine lives, I'd use it to do a simple outline embroidery in the hexagons - and just SID in the cubes. But I'm still in Tucson. I'll post pictures of mine when I finish quilting.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
she stated she had remorse...a lot of people who get talked into making these quilts do..sorry if you could not read my post as a FOLLOW UP to her statement!

I realize everyone likes different things...I replied to the REMORSE portion of this topic...if a person feels they did something they are not happy about, and they are looking for feel good comments, then don't say you have remorse..say you are not sure this is going to turn out like you thought it might...

I have seen many a people walk away from the OBW class feeling more than remorse over spending all that money on fabric that did not look good once it is was cut...

This might turn out just wonderful for YOU...but the process of these quilts don't look all that great until finished...some times one block will not tell you how the whole quilt will come together...

I am sorry everyone took my post as being nasty..it was my thoughts about why you might be feeling remorseful over having cut this quilt out...it was NOT a nasty comment about YOUR quilt!
How many OBW classes have you taken? It sounds like you don't like OBWs, yet you've seen 'many a people walk away' from OBW CLASSES unhappy. HHHHmmmmmmmm.

Most of us on this board understood that the quilter wasn't looking for NEGATIVE comments. Instead, she was looking for a reason to continue with what most of us think is a lovely start on a OBW. She received MOSTLY positive feedback.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Kas

Thanks, everyone for the kind words! I am still trying to decide how to quilt the first one. It has a Mexican flavor, especially when you see the original fabric. The second one I am going to make the Orange Peel type of quilting since it has been cut from Asian fabric.