Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW cut out remorse >

OBW cut out remorse

OBW cut out remorse

Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I don't care for these or the stack & whack...waste of time and fabric as far as I am concerned...never did see a finished one I cared for either...and the makers all complained about the left over waste of fabric...just not sure what the fascination is for these things...
...and you think it is really necessary to answer in such a cutting way? How offensive to those members who love the OBW and Stack and Whack. This message REALLY falls in the "if you have nothing nice to say...." category.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I think the OBW horse has been beaten plenty. Those who offended didn't mean to. Those who reacted harshly got a solid explanation of how/why things went wonky. We all bring our personal filters to the board and what one person sees as freedom to express an opinion, another sees as harsh criticism.

Let's focus on the OBW and how to get the OP back on track and meeting her challenge. This is too nice of a board to let a few hiccups spoil the fun.

Holding out hands in peace gesture.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Maybe we need to lock this one too.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Maybe we need to lock this one too.
I think we're good. We are adults who can disagree and learn to agree again. Locking threads takes away our collective opportunity to show that we can do that on our own.

The tone of the thread in general has picked up in a positive direction and I just don't want my comment to be revisited. I thought we were OK.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I was really enthused to sew an OBW & bought what I thought was gorgeous fabric. After cutting all the pie shapes, I started putting together on the design wall, blah! There just wasn't enough contrast or pattern for this project. A real learning experience. I still want to make one.

Axiom: Keep your words sweet, you never know when you may have to eat them!
Hate to see all your work go to waste. You might be able to use these hexagons for a stack n whack instead! By putting in a contrasting fabric (either lighter or darker) for the "points" when putting the hexagon together, it might just be enough to make the hexagons stand out. Seems like the lower contrasting blocks work better in a stack n whack than a OBW. I made one a number of years ago and loved how it turned out. Just an idea .....
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM

[quote=plainpat]Not only did I do it once, also bought fabric to make 2 more.I'm chalking it up to a Sr moment...or 2 or 3!
It's so ugly it hurts my eyes & life is to short to waste it on ugly blocks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I bet if you posted pictures of your "UGLY" you would get a lot of responses to the contrary!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the help on here, I have the One Block Wonder Book and we are going by it. I am putting them together in half hexagons and then pin together and put them on the wall. I won't give up, I just had to start, and it is not that bad. I posted the starting fabric today under pictures and I said I think the material looks like an OBW just the way it was. I got my patiences back now. Suzanne
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Looks good to me so far, I have never made one but it is on my list.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by humbird
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I bet if you posted pictures of your "UGLY" you would get a lot of responses to the contrary!
Boy ain't that the truth! I have seen some stunning quilts where the quilter was unhappy (or unsure) for some reason or another. It helps to get a nudge of goodness to be able to regroup and look at your work with new eyes.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM

I must be weird...cuz I think these are beautiful!