Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OBW...me?

OBW...me?

I've been reading about OBWs on here forever, looked at them, thought some were beautiful, but never had an interest in making one. I don't know why, but today I thought I just really need to make one. And fortunately, Keepsake quilting is having a sale, so I found my fabric! I sure hope it works! I had three different fabrics in my cart trying to decide, and then I saw this one...(hope this works!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I haven't made one yet, but that looks like fab fabric for an OBW.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

That will work but since there's only five colors in your fabric all your blocks will be restricted to those. The more colors the more possibilities and the bigger repeat means the more varity
    *Rachel*

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    That will work but since there's only five colors in your fabric all your blocks will be restricted to those. The more colors the more possibilities and the bigger repeat means the more varity
    Ohhhhh! Never thought of that! Maybe I better go do another search!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    I haven't made one yet, but that looks like fab fabric for an OBW.
    same thoughts from me
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

That fabric is gorgeous! Begging to be used in a special quilt.

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    I love that fabric!

The other issue is that your fabric appears to have a solid areas. It's better to look for background with movement and not many solid areas.

I think it will be beautiful with that! I have made 5 now and each one is so unique! What size are the repeats?
    Susy

Blog Entries
    even if your repeat is 12 inches, you should do well enough with that fabric. it's hard finding prints that have wider repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Susy View Post
    I think it will be beautiful with that! I have made 5 now and each one is so unique! What size are the repeats?
    Not sure as I just ordered today. There was a ruler next to the fabric that showed 8" and there was nothing even close to a repeat showing.
    Julie

If that swatch is 8", there won't be too much background. I think this will make a fabulous OBW!! I would also not be concerned about the number of colours - there is enough variation in the design to create lots of movement and variety in the blocks.

If you're worried, when you receive the fabric, use the folding mirrors to see previews of the possibilities in the blocks.
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

I think it will be a fantastic OBW fabric.

I wouldn't hesitate with the darker solid areas. They are not that large of an expanse, and what it will do is give you a variation of some blocks being busier, and some a little quieter. Those will give your eyes a bit of a resting spot.

IMHO some of the OBWs just get too busy and with too many colours that they are just a jumbled mess. So another reason why I think this one will work fantastically well!

The contrasts of the white and pink against the darker chocolate and greens will give lots of pop to your quilt. Plus the fine outlines will create some interesting effects too.

Look forward to watching you create a wonderful OBW!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    Not sure as I just ordered today. There was a ruler next to the fabric that showed 8" and there was nothing even close to a repeat showing.
    I hope you were able to find out the repeat distance before ordering, to ensure your order included the six repeats ... or a multiple of it.

However, if you only have four repeats, you could always do a 4PP .... or if eight then a SAW kaleido could be done. Or stick with the OBW with some spare fabric for other uses.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Well, the majority seems to think this material will be okay for OBW, so guess I'll stick with it. Thanks for all the feedback!!
    Julie

I was just reading the OBW book last night, trying to get brave enough to try one. She said that she prefers to work with fabrics that don't have too many colors. Your background certainly looks small enough to be workable as well. I think it will be beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    It,s perfect! The colours are great.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    Well, the majority seems to think this material will be okay for OBW, so guess I'll stick with it. Thanks for all the feedback!!
    We will need pics, I am feeling green with envy right now!
    Susy

I think OBWs must be sending out some sort of "try-me" vibe lately; I've been looking for fabric to try one too! Tomorrow is shopping day, so we'll see what I come home with. I'm going with a friend who has made one before, so counting on her advice.

I love your fabric and can't wait to see how it works!

What is an OBW?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
    What is an OBW?

go to this website and scroll down and you will see a picture of one. www.ifthesethreadscouldtalk.com (#54)
    Julie

I see you've decided to buy the fabric you pictured. I think it will be great. I hope you got enough for your 6 repeats.... just saying.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

IMHO, this fabric should be very interesting. When I consider fabric for stack n' whack I like different size shapes, at least five colors and random placement of shapes. I also audition the fabric with a hinged mirror. I used my mirror on the screen and the fabric you are considering looks like it would be interesting with many different blocks.
    Go for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
    What is an OBW?
    One Block Wonder.

Blog Entries
    I think you fabric will be a great OBW, I haven't gotten brave enough to even use triangles yet! I sure hope you post your progress as well as the final product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast