Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
octogon table topper....Help !! >

octogon table topper....Help !!

octogon table topper....Help !!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Default octogon table topper....Help !!

i am trying to make an octogon table topper, i seem to do ok with my first round of 1 1/2 " border ,but when i add the next round of wider border i end up making it square. i have looked at the tutorial on here ,but it has no pictures of the second round. can any one point me to a better tutorial or explain it to me ?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM

I'm not sure where you go wrong without a picture. Do you trim each piece as you add it? You need to line up your ruler with the next side so the end of the new log is cut at an angle. Have I lost you?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:25 PM

I will try to post picture
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 07-18-2016, 04:51 PM

There is a great tutorial posted on YouTube for an Octagon Place Mat. This really helped me. I had to watch it several times and take some notes. I just googled Octagon Place Mat and it is the one uploaded by Karen Lukac. She tells you how to make an octagon pattern and how to add the strips. I have made several of these for table toppers and mug rugs. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:06 PM

You ended up with it square because the corners you added haven't been trimmed for the next pieces to be added. This is a picture of an octagon piece with multiple borders.
http://files.ctctcdn.com/1c50729e001...900a847439.gif

I haven't watched all this Youtube video, but Karen Lukac does show it with a smaller border, then a larger one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_EnkKyrX4 Perhaps watching this will help you solve your problem.

Edited to add: I see this is the same video hoprigmom refers to. I'm going to have to watch it to see if it is how I would have done it if I had no instructions.

2nd edit: You really need to watch the video. You have to continue using strips instead of using triangles on the corners. FYI...Karen's way is not the way I would have tried it. Mine would not have worked out. HaHa!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:46 PM

i didnt add that blue peice as a triangle, it was a strip,, i guess i get lost on how to trim when i start adding the second round.... i will watch her video to see if that helps me under stand.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by emmydo View Post
i didnt add that blue peice as a triangle, it was a strip,, i guess i get lost on how to trim when i start adding the second round.... i will watch her video to see if that helps me under stand.
Instructions can be confusing. At least you only have four small pieces to remove. I've had to remove a lot more because I didn't understand something and proceeded anyway. You got lucky.

Just curious....what is the name of the pattern you are making? I'd love to see what the finished product is supposed to look like.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:12 AM

I dont have a pattern , actually , a few years ago i started with a dresdon block and followed Rivesongs tutorial , then it went into UFO pile. so now i cant follow her tutorial w/o pictures. so i started this one with the bird panel to use to try to figure it out. I just wanted to make a table topper . thanks for all the help.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:04 AM

frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com
Quilting project tutorials- Christmas hexagonal table topper
Sorry, I don't know how to do a direct link.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I paper pieced the one I made. Much easier and no brain work. LOL