Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Off kilter baby quilt? >

Off kilter baby quilt?

Off kilter baby quilt?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Off kilter baby quilt?

The lady at a LQS wrote a pattern for a cute baby print from P & B Textiles but it looks off-kilter to me so I would like to ask you experts what you think about it. You will have to visualize it as I don't have any idea how to post a picture. The main part is made up of 3 prints cut into 6.5" blocks and sewn in vertical strips which are then sewn together so each line of blocks produces a stairstep affect across the front of the quilt: 3 'steps' up then 4 'steps' down. This 4th 'step' makes the quilt look off-center to me. Since this is a quilt for a baby, do you think it would look okay? I suppose I could change the pattern a bit by aligning the 3rd & 4th panels so there would only be 2 'steps' on each side. Since this is only my second quilt and am giving it as a gift, I would like to hear suggestions from all of you who really know what you're doing and turn out such lovely quilts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me. Karenn
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM

if you go to the picture section it gives instructions for posting pictures
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Not sure just what I know. If it were me I would change it so it would look good to me. I don't like things that look off center or askew.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Not all quilts are symmetrical. Sometimes the asymmetrical look is what the quilter is going for. That said, do what looks good to you. Nothing says you have to follow the pattern exactly. You could even out the 2 middle rows, as you said. Or add a 7th row so that you could have equal steps on either side of the peak. Or make it a single - all upwards or all downwards - staircase.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Not sure just what I know. If it were me I would change it so it would look good to me. I don't like things that look off center or askew.
Me too. I hardly ever use a pattern. I feel free to change anything to make it pleasing to me. My DH is my go to person for how things look when I want another opinion. Together we make a great design team. Don't be shy do what suits you.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Thank all of you for your suggestions. I guess the first thing I really should do is cut out the blocks, try different layouts and make sure I don't need more material before I start sewing it together, just in case I need to make a frantic trip to her shop before she runs out of the fabric. Again, thanks for your help. Karenn