Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh Boy...now I've done it.... >

Oh Boy...now I've done it....

Oh Boy...now I've done it....

Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
My daughters project for student teaching is to come up with something different that first graders don't know about re-cycling, and they are pretty savvy about it.
I opened my big mouth and mentioned something about how people use cast off clothing (which is recycling) to make quilts....LOL!!! You guessed it.....now she has me involved in the whole thing.
I was thinking that if they could each bring in a T-Shirt, I could sew them up into little pillows, they could stuff them, then I could sew them closed. So far, that is all I have come up with. I have a couple of weeks to come up with the finished idea, so please................please......if anyone has any other ideas that we could use, for some little project that wouldn't take forever and that little 6 year olds could be included in I would love to hear from you!!!!
You can also make "green" grocery bags out of tshirts, very easy and the kids can help.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
My daughters project for student teaching is to come up with something different that first graders don't know about re-cycling, and they are pretty savvy about it.
I opened my big mouth and mentioned something about how people use cast off clothing (which is recycling) to make quilts....LOL!!! You guessed it.....now she has me involved in the whole thing.
I was thinking that if they could each bring in a T-Shirt, I could sew them up into little pillows, they could stuff them, then I could sew them closed. So far, that is all I have come up with. I have a couple of weeks to come up with the finished idea, so please................please......if anyone has any other ideas that we could use, for some little project that wouldn't take forever and that little 6 year olds could be included in I would love to hear from you!!!!
Excellent! I was a first grade teacher and I think they would love it. You may want to recruit a couple of parents to assist. These kids can get excited and antsy to get their own done.

Ooh, and I love the idea of the grocery bags.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM
LDB

Another option might be using recycled clothing and recycled bed sheets to make what are sometimes referred to as 'toothbrush rugs'. Very quick and easy. Kids could make small rugs for under their desks or the seat of their chair. A quicker option than adapting a toothbrush is to simply tape a pair of tweezers closed with duct tape. Works great.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM

instead of buying stuffing why dont you use tatered pillows and re-cycle them as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM

You gals are with it, so many neat idea.? love it
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM

You can get old pillows at the thrift stores for only a little money and use the filling from them.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I think the pillow idea is a great one.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
Awesome idea. You can purchase a very large box of stuffing to stuff the pillows, but you are going to need quite a few boxes if you are doing a classroom. Or, you can have them recycle pillows from home and just recover them with the T-shirt.
If you are making them for individual children to take home, be careful of allergies with what you stuff the pillows with.
June