Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh dear I have no idea where to go with this >

Oh dear I have no idea where to go with this

Oh dear I have no idea where to go with this

Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM

She should have a real machine. Bernina is having a sale at their dealers right now on their Bernette machines. I believe that it is 25% off. They start under $200 dollars (full price).
Old 12-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Good decision! Those play machines will simply frustrate her. Can you face time with her? That would help a bit. Also, spend a bit of time on youtube and find a couple simple vids for her to watch. Better that you find them because there is a lot of garbage out there. But something such as a pillowcase or a basic tote bag, then messenger bag (tote with a flap!), then a basic doll quilt or dog blanket will build her confidence and let her understand how her machine works. Please remember to tell her that her seam ripper is her friend. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES and use our rippers. She shouldn't worry about it. As she gets better, perhaps a craftsy online class or a MSQG or Quilt in a Day vids.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:20 AM

I agree with a regular sewing machine. You could find a nice used one at a repair shop. That way you know it is in good running order.

Select a really simple dress or top to make. Perhaps let the little girl pick it out from some you have selected. Then you can show her how a different fabric, collar, change of sleeves etc. can change the look. This will help her train her eye toward pattern selection and perhaps give her the freedom to design her own clothes. There are YouTube videos of girls who design their own clothes.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Most shops that sell sewing machines also offer lessons. A Janome Jem is a very good choice. It can sew just about anything you throw at it. I think they began to offer the needle up-down feature with the platinum. I have a friend in 4-H who sews with school children several days a week. She had to be checked out by the school before beginning to work with the kids. Much of their sewing involves sewing large squares together to make quilts. My younger sister never touched anything sewing oriented when we were growing up. Home Ec was not a choice for me, but she refused to take home ec. When her little daughter was big enough to take dancing lessons, sister dear bought a sewing machine and a serger and learned to make costumes for her and most of the other kids because her daughter volunteered her to make them. The sewing machine repairman sold her the machines and made house calls when she called and demanded he come to resolve a problem.
Get the grandchild an adult sewing machine and quiz the seller about lessons.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM

For a 10 year old, she is ready for a "real" sewing machine. Made from a quality sewing machine maker. You can buy the beginner machine. It would be well worth the money. Even if she never uses it until she is 45 it is a much better investment. She will lose interest in sewing with a play machine.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Well, the thing is ordered. I will take a look at it when it comes and then make a decision. BTW, the one I ordered also has an adapter and 'presumably' can be used for lightweight projects. I don't think she or her household is ready for a 'real' machine. If we lived closer, maybe. I checked with their local Fabricland (equivalent of Joann) and they do not have any classes at this time. Maybe in summer.
The joy of Amazon ... you could always return it, no questions asked and full $$ back!

Good Luck ... and let us know what you think of it when it comes.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I checked with their local Fabricland (equivalent of Joann) and they do not have any classes at this time.
Fabricland can't possibly be the only option in her area.
As previously mentioned, 4H has classes.
Here's an online sewing class for kids that I found.
And when I did a search, I found a plethora of sewing classes for kids in all different areas of the country. I would do a search for "sewing classes for kids in __________" and add the name of her locality.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Suggest first project is a 4-patch with plain square blocks between the 4 patch blocks. Easy, peasy. Also, If you can get have your grand daughter visit for a weekend, that will be plenty of time to get her acquainted with the machine and the very basics of stitching. It can be your 'quilting retreat'!

While you are not asking about which sewing machine to get your grand daughter, I will chime in with others who have advised about the right machine for the job. You can get inexpensive Brother machines for less than $100, and it could be shipped to the Walmart nearest your grand daughter for free. Amazon probably has them as well. Of course, you know the family dynamics and we don't. So feel free to ignore us!

Also consider cutting fabric and pressing fabric - in my opinion, a child needs to be supervised during these activities. Ask you daughter or her husband about supervising pressing - only for safety reasons, not for instructional purposes.

Some pre-cuts, along with a decent scissors and thread are good accessories to add to the package.

Oh, one more thought...you can conference your DGD in via phone or computer for lessons and learning.

Happy sewing fun!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

You know her better than we do. I think you made the right decision for both of you.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM

A real machine, even an inexpensive one from WM would be better. She will get very frustrated with this one. As others mentioned, 4-H or at least classes thru Joanns will give her the best start.