Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Oh, do I need help!

Oh, do I need help!

I thought this fabric would make a darling whole-cloth crib blanket for my neighbors' new baby, but when I went to quilt it I found myself in a predicament: I used low-loft polyester, which says quilt no more than 4" apart. I had thought I would quilt stylized boots, hat, lariat, etc., or even outline individual faces, but this will take longer than this child will be a child..! Each figure is only about 3-4" large. Should I just do a random wandering thing (which will still be hard to get 4" apart)?

A picture would have been helpful, but what about a diamond pattern? Can you do something simple that will look like frames around the pictures? No more than 4" apart means anything closer together than that is OK.

Power Poster
    How about doing a few loops between your quilting motifs? As Patti mentioned the batt means to not leave any areas over 4 inches unquilted. You could do an all over meandering quilting also.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
    A picture would have been helpful, but what about a diamond pattern? Can you do something simple that will look like frames around the pictures? No more than 4" apart means anything closer together than that is OK.
    By the time I got my photo re-sizer to work the site would not let me edit my posting! Maybe I can do it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Think I'd just stitch diagonally across the quilt and call it good.
    I agree, trying to go around the various cowboys, etc. would take forever.

Love your fabric!

What if you do a 4-inch grid in a neutral thread to cover the batting's requirements, then you can pick out a few details here and there with brighter/thicker thread for the whimsey factor?

The fabric is really cute, but you won't be able to see many details of your quilting because it is so colourful, so a grid on the diagonal sounds like a perfect way to go.

I would just do a large stippple or meandering all over it. I do that on all my quilts and I would never quilt less than 3-4 inches apart. Less unquilted spaces are my preference.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Large stippling would really work well on this quilt. Boy it sure is cute!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I would just do a large stippple or meandering all over it. I do that on all my quilts and I would never quilt less than 3-4 inches apart. Less unquilted spaces are my preference.
    I agree with Jingle, any detailed quilting will be lost.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Gorgeous fabric! I have a quilt top sandwiched and ready to go that uses this fabric as a panel. I plan to quilt it in either an end to end horses or an end to end horseshoes - but will be quilting it using my pcquilter. I agree that hand quilting it would seem like an endless task. Can you machine quilt it on your sewing machine - maybe, as someone suggested, in a curvy meander or just in boxes?

I use the cheap fleece from Walmart as batting. It's 60" wide, so for most kid quilts, 1.5 yards is plenty. It's woven, so there are no worries of batting bunching up. At less than $3 a yard it is pretty low cost, too.

Good luck!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0044 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	862.2 KB 
ID:	384767

I would probably cross hatch diagonally. That will ensure stitching that is 4" or less apart, be sturdy enough for a little boy, and get it done quickly. For this quilt, the fabric is the star not the quilting. Save your beautiful hand quilting for something that will show it off.
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    I am happy to agree -- large meander it is!

Blog Entries
    the recommendation is for (at least that much quilting) you can do more if you want- you jsut need it to be at least that much---(it's not 'no more than' ---it's not less than) so, as long as you have quilting every 4" you will be fine- it just means not to quilt every 8-10" squares or something like that-...seems like your original plan would work just fine
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Everyone has given you good advice. Don't waste your time on detailed quilting, only do that if it will show. Stipple or grid!

Banned
    That fabric is just adorable and I agree with everyone, simple quilting because the fabric is so busy. What is the name of the fabric??

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    That fabric is just adorable and I agree with everyone, simple quilting because the fabric is so busy. What is the name of the fabric??
    Selvedge says "Made exclusively for Hancock Fabrics".

Ditto from me as well.

What about some kind of meander style that mimics the ropes the little fellas are twirling. That would be darling.

Blog Entries
    Yes I agree don't detail quilting if it can't be seen. Love that fabric. I can see a toddler carry it around when it is worn thru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post

Blog Entries
    Cute fabric, too busy for custom, a meander in a blendy color will do fine!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

i would do a all over stipple to get it done faster or lines going both directions on the quilt

Quote Originally Posted by penski View Post
    i would do a all over stipple to get it done faster or lines going both directions on the quilt
    I am not a good enough quilter to stipple, which I envision as a tight meander. I did a wiggly line top to bottom (x3), a simple pattern that is pretty much invisible. I will post pics as soon as it is out of the dryer.

Here is the finished product, a very simple lightweight "blanket" for a neighbor's baby sue this month. Thank you for all your suggestions and for taking the time to look.

Sorry the picture is sideways -- should be simple to correct but I don't seem to be up to it!
    Attached Images Attached Images