Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh that hump of a lump >

Oh that hump of a lump

Oh that hump of a lump

Old 11-05-2022, 09:14 AM

Default Oh that hump of a lump

Is it just my sewing machine or are they all like this? When I sew over the hump where several layers of fabric meet at the seam, my machine has a very hard time getting over it. Any hope I have of making a nice straight seam goes flying out the door with the flying geese I'm trying to make as it pushes the fabric out of line skewing everything. Or it will just get stuck and not move at all, stitching in the same spot over and over, making it very difficult to tear out the seam. I love my machine (Janome) but this one thing is not making me happy.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:35 AM

Does your foot have a little black button on the back of it? If it does, push that just before you reach the seam. It adjust your foot to help get over the seam. Failing that did you get a hump jumper with your machine? It will help you get over the bulky seam. I have two Janomes and they both have the black button they both came with a hump jumper. Hump jumpers can be purchased.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:38 AM

pressing seams open and flat before piecing top together is the thing to do.
perhaps you could lay your quilt on the floor and place a piece of wood and hit those seam bumps with a hammer to help them lay a bit more flat. I used to use hump jumpers long ago in sewing but haven't done so in years. Otherwise plan your quilting to go around those obstacles with the quilting design. you might break a needle if you continue to try and stitch over bumps.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:34 AM

If you have walking foot or can get one, you could try piecing with the walking foot. I know it takes a bit to get the quarter inch seam down with a walking foot. I do not have too much problem with my current Bernina machines but have issues in the past with some of my machines. My Viking machine would automatically lift the presser foot when I stopped stitching with the needle down and this also helped with those thick seams somehow.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:41 AM

The standard 1/4" foot I use with my machine has a hinge in it at the 'ankle' so that it rides with the fabric, humps and all. Another thing would be to see if you can take some of the pressure off of your pressure foot. With my machine I can fine tune the pressure foot if I need to. Also, like mentioned above, see how you are pressing your seams so that they all don't meet in the same direction.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:56 AM

I have Janome machines and have never heard of the hump jumper. But, MeadowMist, I hear you! I've broken needles sewing over ultra bulky seams trying to make fabric books for my grandkids. I go stitch-by-stitch slow and use a pusher stick and/or pull from the back to keep the fabric moving under the needle. My Janome is supposed to sew heavy duty items and it does, but needs help sometimes. Reading the suggestions, I realize I could do some fine-tuning as well.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:58 AM

also are you trying to actually stitch in the ditch? or next to it? with your bumps it might work stitching 1/4 inch away from the seams. and yes a walking foot does help. Again, good luck.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:47 PM

I sometimes will fold a scrap of fabric several times so it is a certain thickness and put it under the foot (behind the needle) just before I approach a big hump. This allows the foot to be level as it passes over the juncture and makes it go smoother. I think there is something on the market manufactured for the same purpose, but I know you have scrap fabric around that can be used!
Old 11-05-2022, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

I I know I will have a really thick spot, I hand walk over it by gently pulling the fabric from behind the foot and use the hand wheel to make the stitches instead of the foot pedal.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:24 PM

Thanks Everyone. Now I know what the walking foot is for. Have had it about 2 years but never knew what to do with it so it has sat in the sewing box (old 1st aid kit). Now I will be able to get the small humps done. I personally like my seams open and many times have sewed both sides of the ditch to make it more decorative. Got that idea from the quilt guild.