Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no  This was one of my favorites >

Oh no This was one of my favorites

Oh no This was one of my favorites

Old 09-13-2023, 05:13 AM

I'm afraid we're losing one of our last quilt shops within 40 minutes of driving. They haven't said anything online or on their site, except super sale, etc. I'm in Dallas and we've lost most all our quilt shops, except one (and any in the close suburbs) There is still an interest in quilting, but what online shops and Covid didn't kill, the economy has. Our city is growing by leaps and bounds. It takes 50% longer to get anywhere than 5 years ago and apartments are going up everywhere.

But, small business is especially tough right now, even in a growing city

bkay
Old 09-13-2023, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

That really is sad. I was unaware of this person but I'm familiar with subscription boxes. I've gotten a few but am never really happy with them. I like to pick out my own things.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:00 AM

We have a mixed bag as far as quilt shops go up here. Over the years some have closed and some have grown. All the ones that are still here have a classroom now. One has long arms for rent in the shop and an open sew night where folks just bring their own stuff and machines even knitting needles if that is what they are working on. Two have an in-shop quilting service only one does custom. I am lucky in that I have a four quilt shops within 5 miles of me and 2 more within 25 miles, and JoAnn's if you count that. I don't buy much fabric now but do pick up backings occasionally but shop the clearance bolts for that. I have gotten 3 new machines from one shop in the past few years along with new feet, needles, cases, ect.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:52 PM

For those on a fixed income ( most seniors), it's hard to justify spending on new fabric vs what's available in existing stash when the cost of food, medicine, clothing is also on the rise. My stash is mainly small pieces, scraps and fabric l've purchased on sale in the past. If l run out of a colour l need, l'm now substituting what l'd planned for something else. For example, I've been using yellow and pale blues instead of whites & ivory for backgrounds. For black, l've been using dark brown or navy. Our grandparents lived through the great depression. Thingscnow are better than what they endured. Think about it...lack of fabric for bedding is how quilting was born! It's more of an art form now.