Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh! What to do?? >

Oh! What to do??

Oh! What to do??

Old 04-21-2018, 04:45 AM

I had all the electrical replaced for $2200 and $200 for delivery. The electrical / computer systems are the same for the Sweet 16 and the HQ, so be informed. I was told this is a VERY common replacement. (Common & expensive.)

If you are going to invest it may be wise to look for a better machine.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

When my sweet 16 needed a new mother board I called the Main Handiquilter customer service number in Utah. They sent me the board and instructions for $100, my hasband replaced it in about 10 minutes.
Is the person you took yours to a ( real Handiquilter dealer?) The first 8 years of having mine I didn’t have a local ( within 100 miles) dealer/ service rep) and I called Utah for everything. They were great trouble shooting over the phone & helped me with many things, including rushing parts to me when needed. Now I have a local dealer and he is great, fast, helpful and saves me money.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 AM
CR

I had an Old Kenmore, my son had it cleaned and checked last year, cost him almost $200. I was working on a raggy quilt for my granddaughter and it froze up on me. He wanted to know if I wanted to get it fixed but I decided it's sort of like a car, once you start putting money in them it seems like it's a constant thing. So thanks to the ladies on her I got a new Brother CS600i for my birthday. Now I'm reading the manual to figure out how to use it. It's not as fancy as what you have but I'm just starting to quilt so it's good for now. Just my thoughts. Good luck on whatever you decide
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 AM

And now, HQ has two new LA models...the Amara and the Forte. I have heard great things about the Amara.

I, too, would be reluctant to pay so much for a repair with only a six month warranty.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Well..DH convinced me to go ahead on the repair. I have 3 large and 5 small tops of mine to quilt and 4 twin size for a customer that is willing to wait until my machine comes home.

Our thinking is that the repair will pay for its' self in about 6 months. Talked to Handi Quilter headquarters and they said that the new board should last many years...i think maybe more yrs that I have. I am 77, so I don't think I want a bigger debt. After I get it back and will work at it..I will post the results of situation. it will take 4-6 weeks to get her back. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Based on one experience with having to buy a new circuit board for a sewing machine, I think you made a good decision. I had to replace the main circuit board in a machine that was only 3 months old. Don't know what caused it, but - knock on wood - it's been fine since then, now 5 years later. It was under warranty, or I would have given it up immediately because without warranty coverage, that repair would have cost more than I paid for the machine. I routinely unplug my computerized machines whenever I'm not using them and anytime there's a thunderstorm nearby. I don't know if a power surge was a likely cause, but that could have had a similar effect on anything with circuit boards, of any age. I hope you get a fair return on your investment.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 AM

I also called HandiQuilter in Utah. They walked me through how to take machine apart, told me to take lots of photos so I could reattach the wires. My husband and I followed their instructions, sent the boards in and received them back a week later. All for free except the $30.00 for shipping fees and extra insurance in case the package got lost.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:13 AM

Some of the older machines are better to repair then buy new...Since they are better made. I had the mother board blow on my Husq SE combo sewing/emb after 5 yrs of owning...I researched buying a new machine found people wishing they had not traded up because SE was so well made etc...I went for the new mother board and my baby is going on 11 yrs of running smooth...
I know ladies who have the newer machines and they aren't lasting long and costing BIG BUCKS!