Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ohhhh!!! I am so mad its not even funny. >

ohhhh!!! I am so mad its not even funny.

ohhhh!!! I am so mad its not even funny.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Not at anyone but myself.
I am working on a baby quilt and last night I was all excited. I got the binging on perfectly and I did a good job at it. well I finished at like 10. Not a bad time to finish. Well I get the kids down for nap and I am trimming up the quilt to the right size for the binding. well I go to turn the binding and i messed it up totally bad. I am wanting the binding to be 1 1/2" which is about 1 1/4" past the edge of the quilt. this is not a big deal but I made my corners too short. the mitering only goes 1/4" and then it flares out. I am so mad because now I have to go back and try to fix the quilt. not sure if I want to do this. but will end up doing it because I want it to be nice, it being for a baby. but I am spitting mad at myself for being stupid last night. I could just scream at myself.

now how do I get the binding on to be 1 1/4" is my question. I will probably figure it out but I am just so mad right now that I can't think straight.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100399.jpe   attachment-100400.jpe  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM

I don't think I really understand what you're saying but when you fold the binding in half, both raw edges should be stitched down as one piece, then when you roll it to the back you have 2 layers over the edge of the quilt and a nice folded edge to stitch down.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I don't think I really understand what you're saying but when you fold the binding in half, both raw edges should be stitched down as one piece, then when you roll it to the back you have 2 layers over the edge of the quilt and a nice folded edge to stitch down.
I agree with Kathy. To fix this just open the corners, fold binding raw edges together, stitch the corners the same as you did the first time, turn and stitch down. Both sides should have a nice mitered corner.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM

I don't think you cut it wide enough to do what you are trying to do If you want the binding to actually show 1 1/4" on the front and only 1/4 inch on the back.

I would sew a very thin border on with the same fabric as the binding is going to be to create that effect then bind like normal.

You'll have to rip the binding off that you so carefully put on last night but I think it will work fine to add a thin border. You might want to use a walking foot and loosen the pressure on the presser foot it possible to keep from scrunching up the sandwich.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM

I am trying to make it 1 1/4" on both sides of the quilt. and only doing it one layer thick. I know that is probably wrong but that is all that I can do to have a think binding. I ran out of material. I am even thinking of just getting more fabric and cutting new binding because I am just so mad at myself. I am going to get this right one of these times. Might have to do a stitch it on both sides binding if i have to redo it a third time. lets just keep our fingers crossed that it will not come to a third time. right now i am in frog mode. had to stop my eyes stopped seeing straight and wouldn't stop being spastic.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM

That's a unique binding. Just think, you'll have it all figured out for the next quilt. Try not to stress. It's supposed to be fun.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM

If it were mine, I would add another border and bind as usual. You could even use your current binding strip if you have enough of a tail on it to make up for the extra few inches the extra border will add. If this is a wallhanging, single thickness binding will be fine but if it's to be used as a quilt, I would use what you have to make a narrow double fold binding.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Hopefully this will help, she is using double fold binding but I think the same general rules will work wether using single or double fold.

http://cherylwinslow.typepad.com/my_...-to-reall.html
Old 08-21-2010, 03:27 AM

Danni, that was interesting! I've never seen a wide binding unless it was jut the back brought over to bind. thanks