Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Star Help Needed

Blog Entries
    laughing...just tell her that you're not a "real" quilter because you use white as a backing. In fact, you could name your quilt..."not a real quilt".
    ;-D
    Kathyj

'real quilters' do what they want!

Not to long ago i was showing off a quilt at my moms hair salon. One of her customers was 89 yrs old and had been a quilter all her life. When she saw my floral backing she said "Oh you used colored fabric on the back? I've never done that" She was a real quilter, self taught, patterns from newspapers and magazines. A real quilter to me does what she is inspired to do, because the inspiration is whats real.

A good many people like to see the quilting on the back. Colored thread on a contrasting solid is beautiful. Patterned backing fabric makes the quilted pattern harder to see. Your choice.

Blog Entries
    So, you have a crazy friend! I have quilts from many years ago with white backs and white backgrounds. When you make a quilt you can use whatever color you decide!!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I even put WHITE BINDING on a quilt with a white back!

The only reason I can see not to use white is all your mistakes show more. Personally, I prefer white on white rather than stark white. I'm wondering if the reason behind that statement is that a patterned backing would show through on the front. That is no longer a problem with the battings available today.
    Sue

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Well if you are not a real quilter then she is not a real friend! Lol
    True friends are like diamonds
    They are precious and rare.

I agree, it is your quilt!

Oh my goodness.... I use white for my backs and for piecing I think it make the color fabric pop .. use what ever you feel will look the best...

Did your friend say why you shouldn't use white? Just curious as I love backs in white as they show the quilting like a new quilts from the front.
    Linda

The Amish always use white, and I love how you can see all the beautiful quilting

Greetings all. I asked Momma once why most of her quilts had a white or off white backing. She said it was always much cheaper for them to put on a white backing as colored cloth was so expensive. Peace, Robert.

"Real Quilters" don't listen to people who obviously don't know what they are talking about. The Quilt Police should face a firing squad.

Cut yourself a break and stop listening to any advice containing the words "a real quilter would..."

I am still trying to figure what a real quilter is because surely when someone uses such a description they are implying the existence of a negative opposite, right? Letting my creative juices flow I am thinking maybe: "faux, pretend, out of date, stale, cartoon, liar, uninformed, stupid, challenged or dumb quilter?"

We do not need quilt police trolling the USA! Suggest they send a resumé to the QIA (Quilt Intelligence Agency) and let them loose in the rest of the world. Come to think of it, that is probably the only agency the EU is missing from their list of rule makers.
    Last edited by GladGrams; 01-31-2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: left out a few thoughts
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

I use white all the time. Its even bleached muslin. Its what I can afford and I have never had a problem .

I agree! This is your quilt and if you want white, do white! I love the brightness of white and even use white sheets on my bed now. Who's to say what you do with your quilts. Come on, quilting is fun and we shouldn't be limited to satisfy the "quilt police". Get a life!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    too funny---i've been a pretty (real quilter) for something like 35 years...and have many many quilts with white backs- and with white backgrounds- and i know many, many quilters who always use white- trying to get them to be adventurous and use a print is like pulling teeth...so i just find this statement funny-
    as a quilter you should use what you want that works best for the outcome you are looking for
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

My mom told me that you are the queen of your quilt so you go ahead and do what ever your heart desires. But remember to make sure that all of your threads and strings are cut off otherwise you will see every one of them through the white, if they go through the batting. I am sure though that it will look amazing. Good luch and show us a pic of it when you are done.

Hmmmm... all of my antique quilts are backed with white and by the looks of the handwork on them, they were made by "real" quilters. The quilts I make are backed with white, off white, stripes, or whatever fabric I have the most of that's a good match for the front (though when doing my own FMQ I do lean toward backing with a print because it hides many of my numerous mistakes, lol!). You just go ahead and use whatever color you want to, it's your quilt!

well then I guess our quilting sisters of old were not "real quilters"---they used muslin, either natural or bleached........the use of printed fabrics on back is quite recent....I personally think it was an idea of a fabric designer/mfg......sell more fabric that way.....I use unbleached or bleached muslin on all of my own personal bed quilts.....nothing as soft to the touch as washed good quality muslin......just my personal preference..

I have a reason for preferring white on some of my quilts. A dark backing will show through if you have white background in your quilt top.

Mom has told me about using muslin because it was cheaper. But the 1850's quilts she has, that were made by her great grandmothers, were backed by prints. I do not know of any 'law' that decrees the backing you should use.

All in all, I would say do what you want to do. You have your own reasons for the fabric you use.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

"Real Quilters" are creative people who create with what they have and what their imaginations tell them is pretty and works. This is one more time of "what I think is right" Go with what you want and It will be lovely. Can you tell I have not had enough coffee this morning?

I have done one quilt with a coordinated design on the backing (like one huge block) and it is like giving two quilts in one! So if my DS gets sick of the stripey patterns of blues on the front, he can look at the large, restful blocks of blue on the back.
    If and when I get good enough to FMQ something pretty to look at, or something well enough constructed to invest in a long-armer to do it, I'll go solid color or white. By then maybe somebody will say I'm a 'real' quilter! LOL
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Quote Originally Posted by blahel View Post
    Well if you are not a real quilter then she is not a real friend! Lol
    Yeah! I agree...she's not a real friend or she would encourage you to do what you are inspired to do!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I guess I am strange-I use flannel-in any colour that does not clash with the front-as it is warmer for the charity quilts. However the 'real quilts' I bought from the Amish before I partook of the quilting bug have white and green. Love them both.

PS-I don't consider mine 'real quilts' as I start out one way and end up somewhere else-sort of like my driving-At least that is what my BFF says! I couldn't follow a pattern if my life depended on it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast