Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OK another question about scrappy quilts.

Blog Entries

OK another question about scrappy quilts.

First let me say "Thanks" to all who answered my questions about organizing scraps to start blocks. Now I have a concern about using phone book pages to sew the strips to. Will the ink from the pages transfer to the fabric when I press the seams? And am I correct in thinking I should make sure my strips are straight, they don't all have to be the same width?
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I have never used phone book paper....In use cheap muslin

I have never used phone book paper either. Muslin is what I use. i suppose you could use notebook paper. I am assuming that you plan to remove all the paper when you are done?
    If you are making a "string" type quilt, your strips do not have to be the same width. Different widths will add interest to the blocks. I don't think they all have to be straight either. I'm also making that assumption that a 2"strip will be 2" all the way. I have made some sting blocks using a wedge shape. As in maybe the strip is 2" at one end but narrows to 1.5" at the other.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Power Poster
    I am using phone book pages on my Spiderweb scrap blocks. Use a dry iron with no steam and I have not had any problems.

I've always used muslin, but I can answer your question about fabric width: mix them up, it adds interest to the quilt.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    if you use paper you have to remove it all * if you use phone book pages and any get moist the ink will come off*
    an inexpensive thin fabric makes good foundations that do not have to be removed later.
    i would test the paper before using it- ---rub your hands all over a page----does ink get on your hands?
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

after posting about using paper for scrap quilting I have already got one block done. I used phone book paper and I really enjoyed how easy it was!

I just use the thinnest muslin that I per wash and then do not remove it. Gives a very nice look to the quilt too.

Why don't you make a sample with light fabric, and phone book pages, press and see if the ink transfers. I have been under the impression that "fresh" news paper print will transfer, but not aged? Maybe the same with phone book?

Uhm, phone book, good idea! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    I just use the thinnest muslin that I per wash and then do not remove it. Gives a very nice look to the quilt too.
    I use really super thin (cheap) muslin, too. I think it gives the block a nice hand. And I also agree that strips of varying widths will add interest.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My favorite paper to use is the white tissue gift wrap paper that comes in sheets about 20" x 30" Tears very easily and No ink. After Christmas I collect it, iron it, stack and cut to size....

I used phone book pages with no problem what so ever.
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Phone book pages do not get ink on the fabric, but when you remove them, you will get ink on your hands. Remember to shorten your stitch length to about 1.5. It makes it much easier to remove the paper. The strips can be any width, and can be wedge shaped. I just finished a Bonnie Hunter pattern that used lots of string blocks!
    psumom

Power Poster
    I would use dryer sheets before i would yellow pages or a piece of cheap muslin have your friends save there dryer sheets
    QUILTNMO

Ok, everyone. Are you ready for this? There's a roll of very thin semi-transparent white stuff for sale at Lowe's, called "Sediment Shield for Trenches", which was recommended to me by a quilter I know for use as a foundation for a selvedge quilt I am making. It is very inexpensive (the roll I got is 24" wide by 300ft long--it comes in different widths, etc.) and weighs next to nothing, and doesn't have to be removed. This quilter had made a selvedge quilt using muslin as the foundation, and was unhappy with how heavy the finished quilt was. I have been cutting 12" squares and using them for a foundation for my selvedge quilt, and it works fine.

One of these days I plan on trying it for paper piecing. It's very thin and I'm sure I'll have to hand trace each block pattern onto it, but I still think that's preferable to having to remove all that paper. Not sure how it'll work for that, as it's not stiff at all...

Hello, all. I have used phone book pages and they worked fine. No problems with ink smudges. The size did of the phone book did limit the size of my squares. I also used some cheeeeeep muslin that was given to me with good intentions but was of such poor quality that I could read the phone book pages through the muslin. Tee-Hee! I got the muslin out of my way and honored the intention of the one who made the donation. One or the other? Both worked just fine for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gayle bong View Post
    My favorite paper to use is the white tissue gift wrap paper that comes in sheets about 20" x 30" Tears very easily and No ink. After Christmas I collect it, iron it, stack and cut to size....
    Great idea! Thanks
    Jinnie

Dollar stores usually carry a pad of lightweight tracing paper; you could give this a try as well!

Blog Entries
    Never have used phone book pages, but a caution...newpaper ink makes me crazy with an allergic type reaction. So, if you are making it for someone else, you might want to check out allergies. I would use a paper without ink. Check the Dollar Tree for thin paper...I don't understand why folks are using phone book pages???
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I've made string blocks using phone book pages. I remove the paper before I press the blocks. I just googled the "Sediment Shield for Trenches" and found another sewing thread that says that it disintegrates or melts if ironed. It seems that it is used mostly for machine embroidery or sewers (the storm or sanitary type, not sewing). JustABitCrazy, let us know when you have tried it. You could also use Golden Threads quilting paper, comes in 12" X 20 yard rolls for about $9. I have a roll and I'll use that if I want to make larger blocks than 8.5".

Never tried it, but I think I would just use a thin fabric.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Too much like paper piecing and I hate to have to tear the paper off. Muslin is the way I go.

Blog Entries
    I'm doing Pepper Cory's Craftsy class and she suggests using old phone books - as in last year's - so that the ink has had time to set.
    Cherylsea

You can also use fabric sheets. The senior citizens here asked the laundromat to save used fabric sheets for them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast