Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK - I Am A  "Fabriholic" >

OK - I Am A "Fabriholic"

OK - I Am A "Fabriholic"

Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 PM

I always tell DH, "Hey, at least I'm not out at the bars picking up strange guys!" LOL.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM

I too have to stand up and say I am a Fabriholic. I love to shop for fabric. I have tubs, shelves, drawers, bags and piles of fabric. I get a HIGH just walking into a store that sells fabric. I go on vacation to buy fabric. I just heard today that another store in our area opened. I am dying to go, even though I just bought nearly $100 of fabric this last weekend. I am ashamed, giddy, anxious and excited. I agree with Scowlkat....I feel like you at times too. Hopefully, this group will be therapy to me as I know I need to stop shopping and use up what I have. I sew clothes for my grandchildren, I sew crafts and would like to sew some quilts for the needy in our area.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

I too am a fabricholic. At first it came upon me out of necessity (shopping because I needed just one yard of green or off white). Slowly, I realized that I had bought one of each color and 2 yards of each, just so I would have enough and wouldn't have to go out again to get more. Then I started subscribing to the 'newsletters' that tell me the new lines coming out and they are available for 'pre-order'. Of course the one's that I wanted I coldn't get all of them at the same online quilt shop. So I had to shop around. Introducing the FabShopHop. Looking for that bunny while I was looking for the fabric 'on sale' to match what I already had, had me buying more. And after all, by finding all the bunny's I could possibly win something and then get part of my purchase FREE! So I'm on the website and I realize that I am $11.20 from having free shipping on the order. Back to 'continue shopping'. Of course there isn't anything for $11.20 so I had to go over the amount, just a little bit. I found several stores that I just couldn't stop myself from the sales or clearance. (I'm a sucker for clearance, End of Bolt, Sale, Discontinued, you get the idea). Now I have to sort through my fabric and get rid of some of it because after 15 years of living in the same house, we are moving. Minus the moving part, how many of you out there does this discription fit? As I said, I am a fabricolic. I love this addiction. LOL
Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I have been working on cleaning up and reorganizing my sewing room (mainly due to catastrophic failure of my shelves!) for the past week or two. Yesterday, I was folding fabric and all of a sudden the amount of fabric, thread and other miscellaneous items I have overwhelmed me and I just had to sit while I dealt with feelings of shame for overindulging, gratitude that I have so much, and dread at the amount of work I still have to do before I can even contemplate sewing again! I had to leave the room and can't bring myself to go in there today!

So knowing there are others with the same situation and that I'm not the only person with this addiction really helps! Tomorrow I have errands to run in the early part of the day but am going to make myself go back in there and keep at it!

Fabricaholics = we must continue to encourage each other!

My DD has decided to have a garage sale before she goes back to college. We've been doing a few auctions this summer and she thinks we have extra items to sell. You know how auctions are....you want one thing but have(get) to buy the whole box/stack. So we started going through the rooms to look for items to put in the sale. Tonight we were in the outdoor shed.

We've moved rooms, painted, carpeted etc over the years we've lived here. Everytime, I'll put things in bins and put them in the shed until I get a chance to bring them back in (! right!). Well in addition to the 12 bolts, 3 large bins, 2 med bins, and two boxes from the last auction (all quilting/fabric), there are 5-7 other bins full of fabric/quilting items! And we haven't even looked in the sewing room!!!!!!!

I have to honestly say I did not realize there was so much. I had thought about selling items on here and did list some last week. But it's kind of a hassle to go to the Post office and get the mailing price, come home, let the buyer know the shipping and then return to mail it after they decide they want it.

So I'll be going through the bins one or two each night to price the items for a garage sale. I am definitely advertising sewing/quilting fabric and items.

But one thing. . . . . .where did it all come from? Is it like rabbits and multiplys on it's own????? Surely I did not buy all of that stuff! I really do have good intentions!

My name is Judy and I'm a fabri-holic!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
The best part about our 'addiction' is that there is no rehab to ship us to!!! LOL
Well? What about a quilting weekend retreat? That at least would get us out of the sewing room. :-D
Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Oh trust me you are not alone. Just drove this Sat for 2 hours and spent $800 on Moda fabrics :-D
Old 07-25-2011, 06:07 PM

12 steps:
1. Realize you are addicted to fabric and all things it is used for.
2. Making quilts of all fabrics in our stash will bring us back to sanity.
3. You know there is a God when Walmart brings back the fabric shop back to stores!
4. Know that hoarding fabric is a disease that you cannot control. (Quilt Books are include.)
5. You need to tell someone. (the QB will do. You will get the support you need and the understanding.)
6. We are ready to create quilts, even with ugly fabrics!
7. We send out messages for fabrics that we have run short on. We ask for help with patterns, colors, ideas, etc...
8. Made a list of persons we need to make quilts for. (and those who we will not be gifting with a quilt.)
9. Make quilts and give to persons that need them. (Charity, Linus Group, Quilts of Valor, etc...)
10. Continue to add to our stash in case there is a shortage of fabrics or a snowday! ( I did my best work during the blizard of 1993 in TN. Not many snowdays in S. GA.)
11. Share our stories and teaching with others who need to learn from our short comings.
12. Need to make that quilt pattern that we say on QB that was beautiful. (Was it last week or the week before?)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM

hehe I love fabric! I like looking through etsy or other fabric shop websites and staring and thinking of what I could sew up. I need to purchase a new sewing machine though :( But I still go in and organize my nice fabric and dream :D