Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK, I need help >

OK, I need help

OK, I need help

Old 02-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Default OK, I need help

There is no better place to ask for help than on the QB. I have a DSM Brother 1500S. I have quilted 3 quilts on it and have had no problems whatever. I am trying to quilt my Prairie Peony and am having all kinds of problems. The only thing different, I am using 2 layers of cotton batting. I don't usually use cotton. I have cleaned, re-threaded, changed needles, using needles recommended for the thread, changed threads and I still get skipped stitches. I will be going along just fine and suddenly it may skip a length an inch long. I can sew like forever on a sample using the same fabric and batting, no problems. Then let me put the quilt back on and here we go again. I have battled this for a couple days so decided to see if anyone has the magic answer. Thanks for any replies.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Two things, first, what size needle are you using? and second, I'm thinking that the quilt is not being supported enough, especially since a small version works OK. Do you have an extension table? Is the whole quilt up on the table?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I quilt on a Bernina and have never used two layers of batting. Yes, check that you are using a new sharp needle maybe 14 to 16 size. You are going thru two layer for cotton batting probably with two layers of scrim. That is a bit of bulk in my opinion but I have read threads where it has been done. Not sure if it has only been done on a long arm. Be sure your quilt is supported as PaperPrincess mentioned. Hang in there.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Two things, first, what size needle are you using? and second, I'm thinking that the quilt is not being supported enough, especially since a small version works OK. Do you have an extension table? Is the whole quilt up on the table?
Wouldn't you know I would try something that I should not have. I am using a size 14 top-stitch needle. Tried a size 12. Yes, the quilt is well supported, not dragging or anything. Thanks ladies.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM

I think you need at least a size 16 needle for that much bulk????
Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I think it is the density of the the 2 cotton batts. Cotton tends to cling to the needle and the 2 batts might be holding the needle up just enough to miss the bobbin thread. It will probably take either a super sharp needle to penetrate quickly or a big enough needle to punch a big enough hole.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 PM

I also think you need to go up a size in your needle. Usually when you increase the bulk and then start getting skipped stitches, a larger needle will be the fix.

p.s. That is an awesome machine. I have one and it's my favorite.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

What sometimes happens is that the needle flexes, causing it not to make a good stitch. That is one reason a heavier needle can help. If you're going too fast, especially with the extra thick quilt sandwich, the needle can be deflected because you're pulling it with the fabric. So slowing down may also help.