Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok Panda. Here is the Press-n-seal experiment

I transferred the pattern onto it by putting the film over the paper pattern and tracing it with a permanent marker called a sharpie. then I centered it on the block and pressed it into place. Then I sewed it with my new machine. ( I was feeling lucky) It sewed well. Didn't gum up at all. Then I began the process of removing the film. It came off well. All of the little places took some time but overall I liked the process and will defiantly use it again. Good luck Panda. Please give it a shot and see how you like it. Post your results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CCOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!

Love your quilt. I have used Press N Seal in the same manner and have not had any problems either.

COOL!!

I'm still not wanting to use the Press N Seal, but then again....if you think about it, we all pretty much use Wonder Under/Stitch Witchery/Heat N Bond and it's all got glue in it, right?

Yes Terri they all do. Sure Loretta. I sent Panda some Press-n-seal and we were talking about how to use it. So I tried.

Kwhite, how big the is seam on it? reular sized as you usually qilt with machine? (bigger than when piecing)

I am chicken out sewing with regular foot and regular dogs come out with my 30 yrd sewing machine, but will give it a try on sewing meandering or just going spiral for the first attempt.

Thanks for sharing this, kwhte.

panda

I sewed the circle with the feed dogs up and the rest I had them down with the quilting foot on free hand. the whole sun is about 8 inches square.

How awesome!! Thanks for trying this out and posting the results!! I may just have to lose my fear of free motion. I've not yet had the guts to try it!

Blog Entries
    Press 'n Seal instead of Sulky? Is it much cheaper? I suppose one of the benefits is that it won't dissolve if you sweat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Press 'n Seal instead of Sulky? Is it much cheaper? I suppose one of the benefits is that it won't dissolve if you sweat.
    LMBO you must be talking about me!!!

Thanks for the pictures and info Kwhite :D :D

I have never tried Sulky. I imagine PNS is going to be cheaper. No you shouldn't be afraid of free style. It is fun.

Thanks for letting us know this. I do have a question tho...

Does it actually stick to the fabric or do you pin it?

It does stick perfectly to the material. And it does come off all right. Some of the poly kimono fabrics got a bit fuzzy after I peeled it off , but it could not happen on the cotton fabrics I think.
    For me, it stabilize the kimono fabrics very well to handquilt .

Blog Entries
    I was just reading about this on an embroidery site. I am going to try it today. Thank You for the tip and for showing us your beautiful quilt.

Banned
    oooooooooooooo pretty

Wow, thanks for sharing. FMQ is too scary for me right now, but this looks doable. Love the results.

Although I've heard of folks using this product, but yours is the first I've seen. It looks great!

How big a stitch did you use, and what kind of thread? Again, thanks for sharing your success.

I've used it quite a few times. I find the little bits that get stuck sometimes in the seams are easy to remove it you scratch at them gently with your fingernail. Not hard or it will distort the stitches. Also every now and again - wipe your needle to remove any build up.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Wow, thanks for sharing. FMQ is too scary for me right now, but this looks doable. Love the results.

Although I've heard of folks using this product, but yours is the first I've seen. It looks great!

How big a stitch did you use, and what kind of thread? Again, thanks for sharing your success.
    THanks for the complements. Please try it. It really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. Think of it like the first sewing class you took in home ec where they gave you a paper with patterns on it and no thread. You had to sew the patterns. This is the same.
    These stitches were 1.8. I don't have any nails so U used a straight pin to loosen the plastic then it came right off. I didn't have any problems at all with stretching stitches. i used poly cotton thread.

Has anyone used Press and Seal on a quilt on a frame with a quilting machine? Will the quilting foot ride over it and not "gum up" as you sew?

This could be an answer to the Pantograph which must be done from the back of the frame. This would be a good way to get designs centered and transferred on to the fabric.

Comments, please? Long arm as well as mid arm machines????

Great job, I love the picture that you used. I don't have any press and seal, hmmmm, maybe next shopping trip.

Yeah Panda was having issues with the freezer paper so I sent her PNS with my exchange quilt. I thought she could enjoy it too.

Your quilting is just awesome!!

Thank you for showing us how this works! It looks doable! I must go shopping! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Your quilting is just awesome!!
    Aww thank you. It really is as easy as following the lines with this PNS.

What a great idea. It is even easier than marking directly on the cloth and you don't have to launder afterward. I will definately try it next time. I hope they don't take the product off of the market I use it a lot in cooking and storing. Sometimes it is hard to find.

PS Your quilt looks fantastic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast