Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM

I hate to tell your husband but quilting is NOT a "simple hobby." You are an artisan carrying on a tradition that has been passed down for hundreds of years. We, the Quiltologists of the world, are committed to the preservation of historical arts. We are dedicated to beautifying our homes and the homes of those we love by painting with fabric and sewing love and warmth in every stitch. We each put so much of our creativity into each quilt that if we lose our fabric and quilting space we lose a major part of what makes us "us." Downsize somewhere else. Like maybe do without the big TV that he watches sports on or do away with his golf clubs but never, ever give up your quilting space. Tell him you'll switch to a single bed and he can sleep on the couch if you have to give up your quilting. :lol: :lol:
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM

I saw a darling storage building that looks like a log cabin with a porch on the front. Seriously thinking about that. My argument for DH -- it will cheaper than adding a sun room!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GloryBee
I saw a darling storage building that looks like a log cabin with a porch on the front. Seriously thinking about that. My argument for DH -- it will cheaper than adding a sun room!!!
Well, it will be cheaper until you put in on a foundation, insulate, air condition/heat, carpet or tile, and electrify it. Just don't mention all that stuff until later. :lol:
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Well, it will be cheaper until you put in on a foundation, insulate, air condition/heat, carpet or tile, and electrify it. Just don't mention all that stuff until later. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM

When I put in a new wood floor in my master bedroom, I moved out of the master bedroom - in a two bedroom townhome - and now sleep in the little bedroom. The master bedroom is my 'studio.' I get to enjoy the beauty of the space. Of course I kept the master closet and master bathroom for my own use.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Probably you are right. I had just thought of a small space heater. Maybe I better just work on the sun room -- no options!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM

My double wide looks big in the living room and the kitchen is not too small and my bedroom is not small but the two other bedrooms are small. The problem I have is the closets are so small that I have too have a plastic tub in my bedroom too hold my shorts and shirts for summer. I just moved all my scrapbooking out of my computer room too the kitchen and moved all my quilting stuff including machine out of the kitchen into my computer room. Not what I thought it would be but at least company can't see my mess. I just get overwhelmed with so much stuff and have too clean out but it just don't matter with DH. Now if he would move all his junk out of what used too be my woodworking shop and clean it up and insulate it, I would move him too the shop too live and I would put all my sewing stuff in our bedroom with a half bed for me too sleep on HEE HEE. Well I will do something different if I get too be an experienced quilter and that ain't looking too promising right now.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM

I sew in my dining room as we are empty nesters. I have used one of the bedrooms for computer and quilting. I put in a sofa bed so I don't have to have a full bed in there. This way when one of the kids comes home I just move stuff and pull it out. I want a long arm and it would fit perfectly but have to wait to afford it.I like sewing in the dining room because of the light and size. I just can't make it permanent or take up space in living room.I keep my quilting project that I'm working on in the dining room and use my kitchen divider for cutting and ironing. I just keep it very neat and orderly. My friends say I'm sick because I'm sort of a organization freak. I'm happy.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mortinarose
I sew in my dining room as we are empty nesters. I have used one of the bedrooms for computer and quilting. I put in a sofa bed so I don't have to have a full bed in there. This way when one of the kids comes home I just move stuff and pull it out. I want a long arm and it would fit perfectly but have to wait to afford it.I like sewing in the dining room because of the light and size. I just can't make it permanent or take up space in living room.I keep my quilting project that I'm working on in the dining room and use my kitchen divider for cutting and ironing. I just keep it very neat and orderly. My friends say I'm sick because I'm sort of a organization freak. I'm happy.
Hi Mortinarose,
I did get a HQ with a Prostitcher. A friend made me a wood table with locking wheels that stradles the daybed in my 'studio.' So, I have to jsut roll the HQ to the other side of the room when I have guests. After all, I don't quilt when I have company. The key was having the table made just for my use: it stradles the daybed and a 2 drawer file cabinet.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
Mary - love that pic!!! Darn't show my hubbie!!! ALSO - love the analysis Roben!!

At the moment - I have an 1929 single treadle on the landing, plus 3 out of the 6 bookcases up there have embroidery and sewing books on them.

In our bedroom we have a huge shelving system, piles of magazines, bags and bags of fabric - an ottoman full of fabric, cupboard under PC for storing stationary - you guessed it - fabric! 2 stacking boxes full of sewing equipment and threads. Under bead - three sewing boxes of notions etc. PLUS one V large bag of wool (yarn. In the corner several rolls of fabric, one of stitch and tear and one of pattern cutting paper (all 60 inches long and fat!!. Two grates of towels for embroidering when I take my machines to craft fairs and sales (good business!!)

Sitting room is like a bomb site - I have about 2 dozen bags of 'alterations' for customers as well as scraps from finished jobs (all will come in useful - right?) hung on the curtain rails - more alterations and a set of ecclesiastical vestments I am currently restoring!! ALSO in a frame - some of the vestments! Several other sewing boxes. two or three plastic crates with 'work in progress. one machine (Bernina 630)and two embroidery units - one for the 630 and one for my 180.

In the kitchen - I have a whole run of worktop (counter) covered in stuff! A sewing box in the kitchen cupbaord with the cereal (or its on the worktop!), an extension lead for the iron etc lives in there too.

Of course in with the mixing bowls, lives my spool holder for the machines!!

Finally two machines one nasty cheap 'back up' (I only got the 2nd Bernina recently) and my trusty Bernina 180!!!!!

fortunatley my Scullery - where most of my cooking goes on is SEWING FREE!!!!

Of course my daughter has her own sewing stuff issues in her room - but lets not go THERE!!!.........
As my mom would say, "Just be careful not to swallow any pins." I cut out on the kitchen island, and pins do manage to get away from me occasionally. I'm always on the lookout so they don't get mixed in with the food. :lol: