Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay - here's my problem >

Okay - here's my problem

Okay - here's my problem

Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 AM

I agree with the rest - make a fun pattern, only squares and get used to the motion of putting the pieces together. Just the act of chain piecing can be soothing. And if you only have a half an hour, set the timer and sew until the timer goes off, then walk away. Perhaps you will be enticed back to the machine. However, if you find this whole process a chore, don't do it!!!! My machine knows when I'm stressed and that's when she jams as soon as I walk in the door!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM

I don't think it is laziness. Maybe overworked??
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Write down all the kits you have and than match them up with the people that you would like to give them to. Try and work on one project at a time. If you think you will never have time to get it done, just wrap it up and give it to that person and if they are not quilters tell them you will help them. Maybe havin someone elas to work with will give you a little energy. I think you are just overwhelmed.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Personally, I prefer hand work. To sit down in the evening with a block marked with sewing lines is so much more relaxing than being slave to a sewing machine. No jumping up to press, If you sew on your line blocks end up being pretty much perfect. and best of all you can share the evening with your dh. No rush here. If a block takes 3 nights to do, so what. Piecing and quilting...the rocking motion of my hand. is my rocking chair. Just my opinion.
Donna
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm always surprised how distressed some people seem to be bacause they aren't doing enough of something that is supposed to be enjoyable. If you WANT to do it, you WILL do it. And if you DON'T want to do it, then why do it?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
So...not that I'd do this...wink,wink...(I have thought about it, though) but how about getting the fabric flu once in a while and then staying home to recuperate?
lots2do - that is funny, well to me anyway. Hard to do when you work from home... lol.

When I am over exhausted I like to hand quilt/sew. That is what relaxes me, but then there are times, I would just crochet which I don't have to think about it while doing it. Hand piecing is also relaxing...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM

I have only one thing to say: Vitamin D!!!!! I am on thyroid supplement, still exhausted, had very low Vit. D. It is easily tested, and these pills work better than B12 shots!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM

I like to work on crumb squares when I just want to sew with out stress. Can't really mess up those !
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Skyqueen30094
Originally Posted by tuxedokitty
I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???
have you been reading my mind?
I feel the same way, haven't even touched my machine in months, i think i'm ready to start again, got some new beautiful batiks for a lover's knot quilt, which i will start after i am done with my abbey bag that i have put off after making my aunt one
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Try getting out and just walking in the mall or a health club this will make you feel better and MAKE time to do this at least 3 times a week at least a mile to start and increase it! What a surprise you will get how much you feel better and may even loose some weight! I walk 3 miles a day 5-6 days a week and hate to miss more then 2 days or I'm hurting! Then you can get to your sewing!