Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight! >

Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight!

Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Default Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight!

A while back I posted and wanted to know why people make such a big fuss about featherweights. I asked if I should get one and there was an overwhelming response of "YES." So, after a few unsuccessful bids on a popular site, I secured a 1950 machine for a very reasonable price.

So, bottom line? I am here to say, "Amen" to all the ladies who encouraged me to get one. I am obsessed. The hum of the machine, the beauty of the shiny black metal as it glimmers in the light and the simplicity of using it are attributes that make it so special. And even better, is the fact that you can add feet for a very reasonable price.

Thanks to all who encouraged me. I'm in love!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM

I am slowly being lured into trying one also. I have several friends who love theirs. Enjoy your new machine!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Congrats on your new machine! All the vintage machines I've played with are fun. Careful though, you may end up with a collection.
Rodney
Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM

I started with a FW, and now I have another addiction!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I have the white FW. I wanted a black one but was given the white so I'm very happy with the white.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM

How could you not be in love with a FW??? I have several and I love them. But I also have a few 301a's and a 15-91
and several ol singers, Love them.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM

I have had my FW since the late 1980's and I love it. So great to take to classes, and I really like to PP on it. I keep her cleaned and oiled myself and have never had a problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 PM

I have the FW I grew up with. She is so smooth and dependable! It's the one I use for buttonholes and quilt classes. I can hear my mother's voice when I sew on her.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM

I learned to sew on a featherweight in the 60's. When my mother was downsizing and asked her 9 kids what we would like, both my brother (he doesn't sew) and I both mentioned the sewing machine. We decided to play a card game to see who would get it. He took it home.

He he and his wife (a quilter) have it out on display ALL the time. I love to see it.

i think all the time about getting my own, but I'm afraid it would not be used. I have a Janome 7700 and 3160 for class. I need some help on how I can justify it.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I learned to sew on a featherweight in the 60's. When my mother was downsizing and asked her 9 kids what we would like, both my brother (he doesn't sew) and I both mentioned the sewing machine. We decided to play a card game to see who would get it. He took it home.

He he and his wife (a quilter) have it out on display ALL the time. I love to see it.

i think all the time about getting my own, but I'm afraid it would not be used. I have a Janome 7700 and 3160 for class. I need some help on how I can justify it.

Do you need to justify it? Here goes...
1....it is like having a beautiful painting on your wall...you don't have to use it...just admire the beauty of it...
2....it is like your fabric stash....do you need all that fabric...and will you use it all?...but isn't it nice it have???
3...You are worth it...treat yourself...
4...you can always sell it and you won't lose $$$
5...you only live once...

I have seven 221 featherweights...one 222 featherweight from England...one 99k...two 301 Singers and other old machines...I love them..don't really use them much...take the 222 to classes...and the others are on display...