Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay... I'll admit it.......!!!! >

Okay... I'll admit it.......!!!!

Okay... I'll admit it.......!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I use mine for all piecing. It is my foot that is on the machine about 90% of the time. I only take it off if I need a specality foot. My piecing is better now because both the top and bottom layer of fabric move at the same time through the machine.
Pam, tell us more. I hadn't thought about doing this. We can't back tack (reverse stitch) with a walking foot. Right? Doing the back tack when piecing is an automatic habit to me. You don't back tack when you piece? Coach us on this please. It is intriguing to me.
Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Pam

You can back up all day long with a walking foot! Even if you decide you do not want to use it for piecing, it is a MUST for the long seams such as strip piecing, adding borders and the binding.

Have you ever sewn 2 pieces of fabric together that are the same length and then when you get done, the top piece is 2" longer than the bottom? How in the world did that happen, right?

The way the walking foot is designed is to pull the top layer of fabric at the same rate the lower piece of fabric is being pulled by the feed dogs. Another name for a walking foot is an even feed foot. In theory all layers go through together.

I do not backtack while piecing unless it is a Y seam, or something that is set in. This is my personal choice and it is NOT wrong to back tack all of the time. It just is not necessary if another line of stitching is going to cross the edge.

I often open seans, turn them in opposite directions where I pull out a stitch or 2. Also I do ALOT of reverse sewing and it is easier if I do not have to deal with reverse stitches.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Google Goddess

Hope you are feeling better so you can get back to your sewing room
Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

I'm with Pam.

At first I didn't use my walking foot, thinking it was a very strange object. A sewing teacher told me to give it a try. I finally did, and now I rarely take it off. I take it off for stitch in the ditch, and when I use my BSR. And then of course, if I have to use a specialty foot. But my sewing improved a whole lot when I started using my walking foot.