Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay no retard comments

I like doing appliques, I always do them by hand, and I like to use some low loft batting under them, to give them the raised puffy look... I just happend to read some where about fusable webbing, which I have never used before, or even heard of..so I bought a yard of it, to give it a try....How in the world do I use it?? LOL there are no instructions or anything...

I can't help you, but I'm looking forward to the responses you get and then we'll both know :wink:

Thanks Mrs Theo :)
    I think you just lay it down on fabric, cut out your applique, lay it on the webbing, and then press them together...anyone Im hoping it is that easy lol

You trace the pattern on the paper side(not the rough side)
    cut it out and fuse it (Iron it )to the WRONG side of the fabric you are useing as your applique. let it cool a little and peel off the fusing paper and now you can iron this to your base fabric or background fabric. Hope this was helpful, can't imagine it did not have instructions with it, But we have all been there, so please dont feel that it was a silly question.

Blog Entries
    There are different kinds of fusible. They have a paper backing that you draw the shape of your applique on. You trim a little outside the lines and iron it to the fabric. Cut on the lines and apply it where you want on the background fabric, then press. I prefer Lite Steam-a-seam 2. It has 2 pieces of paper, will temporarily adhere and is re-positionable prior to ironing. If you go to Pellon's site, I think they show and example of how each works.

Since you use the batting under your appliques, you would end up fusing your fabric to the batting, not to the base fabric, so I don't know if it would work for you. However, with appliques that have several layers of pieces (like flowers or faces) you can fuse all the layers together, then applique it to your base fabric. Just be sure to use one of the non-stick sheets.

I hope this wasn't clear as mud.

I got it thanks a lot everyone! I want to do some appliques without the batting in them, something that lays a little flatter. I can't wait to give it a try :) As soon as I am done with my current WIP

Blog Entries
    oh there should be instructions. call the place where you bought it.
    i do Sunbonnet Sues the Eleanor Burns of Quilt in A Day way-she gets light weight fusible. it has dots you can feel on the fusible side. she lays that side down and traces the pattern you want on the smooth side. lay it on the right side of fabric, stitch on the drawn lines. then she trims the seam allowance, clips a small opening in the fusible and turns it toward the back of the Sue. then finger presses the edge and fuses with the iron onto the background fabric. this light weigth fusible is meant to be sewn through.
    there are other fusibles out there you cannot sew through!

Blog Entries
    I just did a search on google: fusible webbing applique and tons of links popped up, here is one for you. enjoy

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...-applique.html

Blog Entries
    Here is another kind of fusible to use with a pdf file.

http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/...que_onesie.pdf

I agree with you craftybear, that is a good one..... very smart thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Here is another kind of fusible to use with a pdf file.

http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/...que_onesie.pdf

If you want to add a little puff. You should add a little fiberfill. Not fusible web. Its loose like they use for stuffing sock monkies or dolls. Fusible web is sewed to the top of your appliqued pieces. Dotted side against the right side of the fabric. Trimmed. A small slit is cut in the web and turned to the back. Then the aplique piece is ironed to your quilt block.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget to reverse your image before tracing it onto your fusible web :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by belmer
    You trace the pattern on the paper side(not the rough side)
    cut it out and fuse it (Iron it )to the WRONG side of the fabric you are useing as your applique. let it cool a little and peel off the fusing paper and now you can iron this to your base fabric or background fabric. Hope this was helpful, can't imagine it did not have instructions with it, But we have all been there, so please dont feel that it was a silly question.
    This is how I have used it too.

You could have left out the R word in your title

I'm not sure about fusible webbing ... but have used Hobbs fusible batting to make a trapunto style look to my quilting. It really turned out great.

Have also used just plain low loft batting. I drew my design on the quilt top and used wash away thread, colored the tip of the thread with a pen so I could thread my machine with it. Then sewed the around the area and trimmed the batting. When the piece was put together I sewed with regular thread on top of the wash away batting. This turned out great also.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    You could have left out the R word in your title
    I appologize Darlene, I ment no offence by the word..I use it very freely, not as an insult..just as an expressive word..I actualy have 2 mentaly challenged children, one of them is physicaly challenged also ( disabled )...Both of them have learning disabilities, and other sorts of disabilities to different degrees. I am the last person on earth to use the R word in a hurtful manner.

Thanks AliKat..I will have to try that too..I have 2 projects I need to finish, then I wanted to get started on a applique quilt...I still don't have a quilt for me :)

I have a handicapped 43 year old child myself and I hate that word she is dd and has cerebral palsy. I never use that word or others even if I am kidding.

JJs
    Banned
    I agree with Darlene - I also have a mentally handicapped "child" - a 42 year old who had a prenatal stroke due to a congenital heart defect, and who spent her school years in "special education"...and who still lives at home...

If you have handicapped children it seems to me you should be aware of the inappropriate use of the "R" word....

LOL, loved your title.

There is an easy method I have used in the past and really liked.Cut your fusable out exactly like your applique piece. Put the fusable side down on the right side of your fabric. Sew around the edge with 1/4" seam. Clip the edges where there are curves. Make a small slit in the fusable and turn right side out. Now if you want to put some batting inside you can. Now you simply fuse in place and finish as you would any other applique......Hope you can understand these directions. This is my favorite method!! Good luck!!
    By the way, you can also sew your pattern piece to the fusible and then cut it out....a little quicker that way!!
    Ditter :D

jamie, if you go back to the store where you bought it they will be more than happy to give you a copy of the instructions and even if you didn't get it at a fabric store (garage sale?), if they sell it at the fabric store you shop, you can look at the instructions attached to the bolt. Hope this helps.

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    The title is so funny I couldn't stop laughing

My oldest child has one of the highest cases of ADHD out there, impulsive disorder, inability to express himself, dyslexia, learning disabilities, and some other things, he has been in special education classes since preschool ( except for Math where he is just a kid genious, well atleast better than me lol ) His mental disabilities are staggering and puts him at a pre K learning level even though he is 10. My 7 year old also has learning disabilities, and dyslexia, and on top of that had a Hemmerhagic stroke that I am told no one should have ever possibly lived through, on top of her born mental disabilites, she now has new ones including such intense anxiety she can't go out shopping without a panic attack, and she is now physicaly disabled due to a stroke.
    I was always taught a word is a word, and just a word, it isn't hurtful unless you allow it to be, and since I use the word without hurtfulness, and I used it in reference to myself ( I often call myself one ) Not anyone else, I truely ment no disrespect to anyone..And again I do appologize. I know very few people who don't have days where they sit back and they say Geesh boy am I am ___.

The stuff is called Heavy Duty Wonder Under Transfer Web..it's got nothing but it's name printed all over it...and it looks exactly the same on both sides, except for one side it loosly lays against some paper. The woman at the store rambled off a few names of webbing, neither did I understand so I said Okay just give me some.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast