Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Embroidery quilt >

Old Embroidery quilt

Old Embroidery quilt

Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM

I am fairly sure they will wash out - mine did.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 AM

I would finish it for her. She will treasure it as she gets older to know you did it all by hand just for her.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

To me, the finished quilt would be more important to me than having the marks on/or not on the squares. I'm sure your DGD will love it anyway, just because it was made by you Please post pictures
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM

I had a dear friend who made several beautiful quilts from kits. The blue showed a bit here and there and the dots marking the quilting lines. They do not detract from the appearance, especially after quilting.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
I have a cross-stitched, double-sized quilt that is a WIP. It was started when I was in high school (almost 50 years ago). Now that I have committed to finishing at least some of my UFO's in 2012, I would like to finish this one for my DGD. The problem, and my question is, should I bother? The owner of my LQS told me the blue print for the X's and the quilting lines will NOT wash out after this long. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? BTW, it is in three or four pieces, not individual blocks to be set together. Thanks for any information you may have.
If you follow your pattern, the ink won't show too much. Besides, even if it does, it's not the only quilt around with blue marks.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I am fairly sure they will wash out - mine did.

a cross stitch quilt we did a few years ago for church DID NOT WASH OUT. I tried Oly-clean--------my solution to everything--------even letting it soak------and the marks remained. IT HAPPENS!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jad1044 View Post
would a color safe bleach work? or soak in oxyclean? if it takes out dried blood stains, it might take out old print too. just a suggestion - have no idea whether it would work or not, but I've read to soak blood stains in oxyclean as long as 24 hours !! seems a long time - but worth a try - who knows???
Next time you have blood stains, try hydrogen peroxide first. If it's not too old, the blood will come out.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM

I have a embroidered quilt that my aunt made probably 30 years ago and it has been washed a jillion times and the blue marks are still there. It is so soft and cuddly and we all love it and fight over it. I absolutely LOVE it knowing that she spent so much time doing the embroidery - I actually hand quilted it for her and when she passed away, her daughter (my cousin) asked me if there was anything that I wanted and I said the quilt - not expecting it - but she gave it to me right away. One of my greatest possessions on earth.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Just think of how many if those kits were sold, and completed, and used lovingly and happily for many years, blue marks or not. I officially forbid the quilt police for criticizing if ny blue marks remain.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM

I'm 82 years old and I finished quilting a quilt for my SIL that she had cross-stitched many years ago. I hand quilted it and it took a very long time. I must say it turned out beautiful. An awful lot of quilting. When I finished we could hardly see the blue marks. The SIL was in a nursing home and was completely flabbergasted! [is that a word?] ha