Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
old faithful gave up on me >

old faithful gave up on me

old faithful gave up on me

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM

Default old faithful gave up on me

Sorry if this in the wrong place but wasn't sure where to put it.

I know alot of you have digital sewing machines now or are they called computerized? so I thought i would ask this here.

2 days ago my old friend gave up on me. she was 25 years old and never gave me any problem that wasn't the operaters fault. ( even not sewing right now was because of a bent needle and i didn't stop in time for it to break the plastic foot.) She was a new home and i loved working with her. so now i got out my other machine i let my friend use when we sewed together. this one is a simple janome.
my question is I have always put door stops tilting my machine forward. can I do that with a digital machine too or does it need to stay flat? my freind was alot taller than me and never had a problem using so I never thought about it till now.

thank you for listening and any info you can pass this way. Isn't it funny how attached we can get to
our machines? I feel as though I lost a friend. Will be keeping her though and after the holidays see how much she will be to get fixed. thank you-- Ravonda
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Hi...I've never done that but I don't see why you couldn't. Think laptop computers...sitting on your knee or perched in bed or wherever. They still work even if not sitting flat. I don't see any difference as far as the electronics go between that and a sewing machine. I'm sure I've seen pictures of others doing the same thing with their computerized machines

Blessings
Janice
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Sure, you can tilt a computerized machine. The sell an adaptor especially made for my computerized model, but the door stops will work fine.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 AM

Hummmm. I've never heard of tilting a machine. I learn something new here every day. All I can say is try it and see. I don't see any reason why you can't do it.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Maybe call a dealer and ask? I do know that if you have the embroidery modules you need to have things level. I invested in an office chair that adjusts in height which puts me above the machine. Short legged person that I am, I need to get a block of wood to put the foot pedal on so I can reach it. Of course with my 380 I do have the push button option. I have no desire to have the heavy machine decide to walk forward while I am sewing and drop into my lap --- just saying I am the klutz who would manage to have the impossible happen. I know loads of seamstresses/sewers who have no trouble with the doorstop tilting method.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
Maybe call a dealer and ask? I do know that if you have the embroidery modules you need to have things level. I invested in an office chair that adjusts in height which puts me above the machine. Short legged person that I am, I need to get a block of wood to put the foot pedal on so I can reach it. Of course with my 380 I do have the push button option. I have no desire to have the heavy machine decide to walk forward while I am sewing and drop into my lap --- just saying I am the klutz who would manage to have the impossible happen. I know loads of seamstresses/sewers who have no trouble with the doorstop tilting method.
Are we long lost sisters? That is so me. I have thought about it but am scared of the machine falling. I was wondering how to reach my foot pedal if I got a taller chair, thanks for the idea of a block of wood. I know the computerized machines shouldn't be on a table that vibrates, not sure if that would cause a vibration.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 AM

I have used the rubber doorstops under the back of my Pfaff 2040 computerized machine for all of the 14 years I've used it---never had a problem with it moving or vibrating. I make all my own clothes and do quilting so its had lots of use. A piece of the rubberized shelf liner stuff under the machine would prevent any moving problem and also cut down on noise.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 AM

I'm not sure what kind of chair you use...but, I use an adjustable office chair. With the air lift under the seat, it might be enough so that you don't need to raise the back of the machine....but if the door stops work...don't fix it.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM

As I was told ... those machines are shipped over and have been tossed around a bit before they are even sold. Therefore a tilting won't hurt anything!

I had asked a lot of questions of a dealer because I don't like to leave my fancy machine in my car down here in the summer. I still won't even though it is supposed to be OK.

ali
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all of your answers. I feel fine tilting it now. I just took a telephone book and put the rubber liner on it to reach my pedal cause when i have the office chair full height i can no longer reach the pedal very comfortably. A block of wood would be a good idea. I have always had metal older machines to work on so this one just felt so delicate to me. So thanks again everyone. Hope you all have a enjoyable day. Ravonda