Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Friends BOM - Now that you're finished piecing it - Quilting Ideas? >

Old Friends BOM - Now that you're finished piecing it - Quilting Ideas?

Old Friends BOM - Now that you're finished piecing it - Quilting Ideas?

Old 08-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Old Friends BOM - Now that you're finished piecing it - Quilting Ideas?

LOL! I suppose I assumed that many others are finished already because I'm historically the slowest piecer I know.

Here's the link to the BOM for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

I split mine into 2 Full-ish sized quilts - just under 84" sq. These will be a good size for the beds in the trailer. (Boy some of those colors are off! The last photo in the post is closest to real. There is very little purple in this quilt, despite what the second photo looks like. I was rushing to get photos before a storm hit.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528389[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]528390[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking for one of them I will make a sort of modern quilting sampler - a bunch of modernish motifs and lots of ruler work.
For the second, possibly something more traditional - feathers, lines, scrolls, etc.
After this, I will have my cousin's Old Friends BOM to quilt as well. There were 3 of us who did the BOM so there may be as many as 4 of these quilts for me to do.

My current challenge is to "ignore seams" and pay attention more to fabric changes, if that makes any sense? I'm going to be doodling for the next couple of days to try to come up with a whole plan. The first one is already loaded and ready to quilt though and I'm looking forward to this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528391[/ATTACH]

How were others thinking of quilting theirs?
Attached Thumbnails bom1.jpg   bom2.jpg   practiceonluce.jpg  
Old 08-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Very nice! Thank you for showing how they can be made smaller. I've been reluctant to start as I have a twin bed. I think I'll pick my favourite stars and go from there. BTW, I love your colour scheme.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Gay

So beautiful. I checked out the website, and their colors didn't impress me, but your fabrics make me want to do one. I guess that's another added to the bucket list. I do like the idea of feathers - am not partial to stitch in the ditch on its' own. I'm sure you will make your quilt more beautiful, hope you're going to show all of them when done.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Gorgeous! Thanks for the pattern link. I think your fabrics are just perfect for this pattern.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Great top! Check out www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com for some neat ruler work on her Bohemian quilt that might give you some quilting ideas.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Yours is much better looking than the one on the website, love it. I see you have an Aphrodite quilt on your wall. I have that one waiting in the wings, btw, it's getting crowded over there, lol.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Very nice! Thank you for showing how they can be made smaller. I've been reluctant to start as I have a twin bed. I think I'll pick my favourite stars and go from there. BTW, I love your colour scheme.
You are welcome! As I was trying to lay it out on my design wall I thought what the heck am I doing? I don't even have a King bed! We often use king duvets on the bed but that's so I have nesting room but couldn't fathom how I was going to keep 108" x 108" off the floor.

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
So beautiful. I checked out the website, and their colors didn't impress me, but your fabrics make me want to do one. I guess that's another added to the bucket list. I do like the idea of feathers - am not partial to stitch in the ditch on its' own. I'm sure you will make your quilt more beautiful, hope you're going to show all of them when done.
I loved that quilt from the beginning but all of those colors really didn't do it for me either. When I went to the quilt shop, she said "what colors do you like?" I said, "I like blue...." She figured I could get away with an all black and blue quilt. I was unsure up until the end but she was right. The Batiks make it.

I agree, SITD by itself works on a really strong pieced quilt but not this one. I quilted a Log Cabin based top called "My Canadian Home" for a friend not long ago and her piecing was so perfect and the fabrics so amazing, I couldn't do anything else. It would have taken away from her piecing. My piecing will never be like that, mostly because I piece so I can quilt.

I will show whatever I'm allowed to show. i.e if my cousin and her friend want theirs shown, but I will show the 2 I do for sure!

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Gorgeous! Thanks for the pattern link. I think your fabrics are just perfect for this pattern.
Thanks dunster! I was glad to have managed to look past those colors on this one. Usually the color determines if I make the quilt, so it was a real milestone.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Great top! Check out www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com for some neat ruler work on her Bohemian quilt that might give you some quilting ideas.
Great idea! I have her Quilting Wide Open Spaces book here but I will check that particular quilt out too.

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
Yours is much better looking than the one on the website, love it. I see you have an Aphrodite quilt on your wall. I have that one waiting in the wings, btw, it's getting crowded over there, lol.
Awww! Thank you! It definitely looks better from a distance. I'm a mediocre piecer at best. Yes, the Aphrodite is the quilt that got me into quilting to begin with. It was the first quilt I saw and said I'd do exactly as it was. In the end, I changed a couple of fabrics but otherwise it's true to the design. It's getting crowded here too.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, great top. I would ditch it but then I don't quilt on a LA.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:46 AM

Thank you for sharing -- that is another one on the to-do list!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Both turned out to be very very pretty quilts. Thanks for sharing.