Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Hollywood Style? >

Old Hollywood Style?

Old Hollywood Style?

Old 10-05-2015, 03:03 AM

I just cut and put together a quilt in golds and black with cream this week-end. It is holiday and extremely classy. I got the jelly roll from Missouri Start Quilt ..... Name on the tag is "Holiday Flourish". I did it at a quilt retreat and consistently got compliments on the fabric choices. I just checked the MSQ site and the fabric yardage and jelly roll are still available. https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse/773.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I just cut and put together a quilt in golds and black with cream this week-end. It is holiday and extremely classy. I got the jelly roll from Missouri Start Quilt ..... Name on the tag is "Holiday Flourish". I did it at a quilt retreat and consistently got compliments on the fabric choices. I just checked the MSQ site and the fabric yardage and jelly roll are still available. https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse/773.
That would be an eye-catching assortment.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:20 AM

Pretty quilt. I think your mother-in-law is going to love this quilt.

Thanks for sharing,
Susan in Texas
Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 AM

Some of the modern quilt designs with lots of negative space would be good...just a thought...
Old 10-05-2015, 05:45 AM

Kalena,
You might want to check out today's Missouri Star tutorial. Jenny presented a tutorial on the Illusion block.You would be able to use several different colors, plus it would be quick and easy to do. If you don't have the colors you need, you are close enough to JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and Betty's Bobbin in Odessa or Hancock's and the Quilt Patch in Midland to drive over and get some quick. I wish I lived as close to both places. I'm 85 miles from Odessa then another 20 miles on to Midland
Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 AM

The more true "Old Hollywood" style, would be more like a whole cloth (washable satin). It would be the quilting on the quilt that was the star of the show. I would think if you did a simple wide (6 to 8"), strips going top to bottom with a large boarder (to look like the drop on the old style bed spreads). Then did your quilting (doing more on the top), you would have something closer to the style. Because most of the quilts in the old movies, would only be laying across the foot of the beds. Because of the covers being satin (everything slides), they would take the spreads off and lay the quilt on top of the sheets. Good luck
Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 AM

This one might could work with the right fabrics http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal..._Quilt_Pattern or this one http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ant_easy_quilt I'd want to get more information from MIL before making something for her new room. You want her to use and enjoy it and you should be able to get the info you need just by talking with her can't you? This will be fun for you to do for her and I'll be watching for your progress.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 AM

I love quilters cache and all their patterns.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 AM

I like the idea of a Cathedral Windows (using Jenny's tut. I would use satin for background squares and satin, toile (sp.) etc. in the windows.
Originally Posted by KalenaTX View Post
Finally getting around to planning out my MiL's quilt for Christmas (late start I know ), according to DH, who asked her what she liked but is terrible at relaying information, she's doing her bedroom "Old Hollywood" style, silvers/blacks/golds and maybe red or royal purple. If I'd been given a decade, I'd have a better idea of what to look for in terms of fabric colors and patterns, but I'm just lost Was thinking about doing this pattern: http://www.quilterscache.com/S/Starf...ock_Page2.html

Any ideas/suggestions/helpful links to get me on my way?

TIA! <3
Old 10-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Also a Bento Box comes to mind. very simple and easy.
Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
When I think of "old Hollywood", satin and velvet immediately come to mind - something shimmery and elegant. When you look at images of "old Hollywood" bedrooms there is a lot of satin. Do a very simple geometric pattern using washable satin and washable, low loft velvet (but not velveteen). Possible patterns could be square in a square, just plain square blocks alternating in 2 different colours with occasional embellishment on the satin squares, fan pattern with embroidery.

I made a satin and velvet quilt many years ago for a gift and the results were stunning. It was alternating 8" blocks of pale blue satin and royal blue velvet - quilting design on satin.