Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
old machine models I wish would be made again >

old machine models I wish would be made again

old machine models I wish would be made again

Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 AM

Default old machine models I wish would be made again

Hi all.....I am stitching up masks on my old Viking D1...and with every stitch I take, I think what a joy that machine is to stitch on....but alas....I know it's days are numbered as it is a computerized machine...now I think about 30 some years old..sighhh...just wish they would make this model again...do you all have any favorite old machine?
Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM

I had the last Kenmore (made by Janome back then??) right before they went computerized, so all those boxes of cams and attachments. I loved that machine, used all sorts of features because I was still doing costuming and garment construction back then. Could do anything from the lightest silk/organza to upholstery weight. Then even with the 20-year warranty, after about 5-7 years one of the integral metal components on the bottom broke and I could not get it repaired and it, of course, was not covered by the warranty. I went to Sears. I went to independent repair shops plural.

That was when I started using my back up machine which had belonged to a friend's Grandmother, a Remington Super Deluxe Model 155 with zig zag! That's been my primary machine for most of the last 20+ years. A friend gave me a modern (computerized) Bernina 820 but it is broken and needs a trip to the shop. When I was taking it down and putting the Remington up, my foot pedal fell off the desk top and an early plastic thing inside finally shattered after some 60+ years of abuse. My vintage repair guy applied for an exemption as a necessary business and was granted it, and so I was able to get a new foot pedal (ordinarily I'd just shop at the local thrift stores for a machine of the appropriate vintage and buy one just for the foot pedal for $20-40, but those are closed now). He cleaned it up super nice.

I've been sewing on my portable/class machine, a bottom of the line Brother and actually rather impressed that's kept up with me for the last 3 months or so. But yesterday it ran out of bobbin thread and I put Remy back up.

Oh my goodness, after chasing that Brother around like a loose dog, it feels so nice and stable and just purrs... I do love my Remy. It was worth paying a few bucks to get it up and running again.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I used to feel that way about my Bernina Record 830. I eventually found one that was not used very much and it was kinda "like new". I never did like it as much as the original one I had worn out. I have several vintage machines now, a new(er) Juki 2010Q, and the same old Bernina 830. I really like them all, but they all have their quirks.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Yes-I sure do miss my Kenmore I bought when I was in 8th grade (many, many years ago)!!! I could sew anything on that machine and everything was made of metal on the machine. I miss that machine so much. Had to sell it when we moved and I sure wish I could get it back again. It had a nice cabinet to go with it. Now days everything is plastic and the sewing machines definitely don't meet any standards that I am happy with.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I have my very first machine that my Dad bought me that I will never part with.(Kenmore) I sewed on it for over 20 years before I got a Bernina.
The Kenmore was a small one but I made a ton of things with it and it still runs fine. I will give it to my baby granddaughter if she wants it someday though. That's the only way I will part with it.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:12 PM

Hands down - Pfaff 1222/1222E/1222SE
Mine is over 40 years old.... but still the nicest stitch... powerful …. looks great …. IDT built in....
I often wonder why Pfaff bothered with anything else....
Old 05-09-2020, 01:43 PM

I have a Singer 401A that my mother bought me in 1960. It was the same machine we were using in Home Ec class back then. I'm still using it and it's a great stitcher!
Old 05-10-2020, 03:03 AM

I loved my Viking Rose but it, too, died. It was computerized but was very easy to do FMQ with. My comparable Elna has good features (thread cutter! needle down!), but is very fussy about FMQ. So much so that I have given up and try to do creative walking foot quilting.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Mine was a Viking 6820 selectronic...It had two speeds and perfect for when you had to sew slowly on denim and the like. I wore the clutch out and the used replacement didn't hold. The tension on this was so reliable and evenly balanced. This machine appliqued craft items, sewed prom dresses, mended farm overalls, put together denim quilts, just to name a few of her many accomplishments.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:29 PM

Default Pfaff 1222 and Bernina 1030

I agree with the nomination of the Pfaff 1222, only with the addition of a knee lift. And the Bernina 1030- it has features the current model 1008 doesn’t have.