Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Patterns, Newer Methods >

Old Patterns, Newer Methods

Old Patterns, Newer Methods

Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM

WOW - thank you for sharing this tip! Can't wait to try it this way. Looks like it will be much faster to do. :)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 AM

I can't wait to try it. I make baby quilts for the local hospital in Texas and military lap robes. This will be a breeze. Thank you for sharing
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

At Paducah quilt show last year, the Yo Yo's of Paducah were demonstrating how to make bow tie blocks using only one square of fabric. It was fast and made a perfect take a long hand sewing project.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:06 AM

Can you share this technique. Sounds like you could use the layer cake pieces.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Virginia
Oh, am I happy. Just got an E-mail from a friend who knows how I like the Bow Tie blocks. I especially like them for Crib Quilts. She sent me a simpler method and I love it. No twisting around the corners or getting tucks at the corners instead of a clean corner.

Rather than using the square for the knot, she used 2 triangles.

It consiste of 4 squares, 2 print and 2 plain, with the triangles stitched to the joining corner of the plain square. Press those seams toward the triangle point. After trimming the excess plain under the triangle off, stitch the 4 squares together.

Easy, quick and very rewarding.

Please share any tips with all of us. Thank You!
Thursday, September 29: I have a suggestion that many of you might find useful.

When making blocks on the sewing machine, I make two patterns. Currently, I'm making 2 crib quilts. One is scattered nine patch and the other is an Itty Bitty Bow Tie.

I take # 1 pattern and sew the first step without cutting the thread, until the first step of # 1 pieces are done, then I take the # 2 pattern and do the first step, still without cutting the thread. Following those 2 first steps, I start the second step on # 1, then on # 2. I continue this rotation until all the steps are taken on both # 1 and # 2 and each block is finished. If you are working on Crib Quilts it works fine. But on a larger quilt, I do this until the bobbin runs out, leaving the work in the machine. The purpose of this method is to "Save Thread" which is costly by today's pricing standards. On every 12 pieces you sew, you save 3 yards doubled, (bobbin & upper thread 3 inches each).

I bought a spool of Mercerized cotton size 30, 1200 yrds per spool at Hobby Lobby. Cost $5.95 plus tax and in Illinois that is a lot.

If you believe my calcutations are not accurate, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Hello

You are all very welcome. Please post some of the ones you make. I like this way very much, also.

I am trying the quilt as you go method for the first time. I need a "going away" quilt for a friend who became like a daughter to me when her Mom passed.

The method is so easy and very rewarding. No tugging around on the machine to make sure every seam is quilted.

I'm upset! I thought my name for my quilt as you go quilt fit so perfectly until, I looked at the Martha Hahn patterns. She has a block called "Ocean Waves". Suggestions please. whoever has the name I like best will receive a 12 1/2 inch nine patch block in the colors of your choice. Thanks for your help!

Just for kicks, I'm going to display, in pictures, my progress. First will be the front and back of the quilted block.

I'm so happy I have made friends on this site. I was the youngest of a group of ladies that formed a club. I also the last of them alive. I get very lonely for someone to talk with. I don't communicate well with this newer generation, too old fashioned. Are there anymore old fashioned quilters out there? If you are one, I'm saying "Hi and God Bless" Virginia, Illinois

Day 1-First Block-"Quilt As You Go"
The excess needs to be squared off before attaching to Block 2. Am quilting with navy blue thread. Since it a large pattern, 15 inch block, I think it show up the quilting better. Also, still needs sashing.