Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old patterns >

Old patterns

Old patterns

Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM

I use notebook paper that I buy cheap when the school stuff gets marked down, also any type of printer paper works, they mark the seasonal ones of those down after the holidays too....I imagine any kind will work.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I want to make a string pieced quilt like Bonnie Hunter however I don't keep phone books and there are none in my husband's office. He asked why I could't use old paper patterns that I could find at the thrift store. Has anyone tried this?
I went to the local newspaper office and asked for an end roll of newsprint paper. This is what's left on a roll when they have to change the paper out on the printing machines. There is quite a lot of paper left on the roll, but not enough for the printing. But its plenty for my needs. I just cut whatever size I need. It's lightweight for string piecing and comes off easily.

I'm told that the end rolls are usually sold for about 25 cents each, but when I told the clerk that I was going to use the paper to make quilts, she said, "Well then, no charge." and gave me six rolls!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
I went to the local newspaper office and asked for an end roll of newsprint paper. This is what's left on a roll when they have to change the paper out on the printing machines. There is quite a lot of paper left on the roll, but not enough for the printing. But its plenty for my needs. I just cut whatever size I need. It's lightweight for string piecing and comes off easily.

I'm told that the end rolls are usually sold for about 25 cents each, but when I told the clerk that I was going to use the paper to make quilts, she said, "Well then, no charge." and gave me six rolls!
This is what I did, too. Got my roll for free. There is at least an inch thick of paper still on the roll, I figure that will last me until I die! Took it to a scout meeting where the boys used it to make about 150 disposable kitty litter boxes for the Humane Society. I also cut large sections off, wad them up, stuff them in the voids of boxes I ship - worked great at Christmas time. Makes great paper for the kids to make paper crafts, draw, color, & paint on, keeps them busy during the summer. Oh, and I do use it for foundation piecing, also.

Last edited by Peckish; 07-22-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Or you can just call the phone company and ask them for a phone book. They're generally free if they're for your location.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM

you can use old newspaper too. Just with anything printed on, make sure it's a few months old so the ink doesn't transfer to your fabric when you press.
I'm using old copy paper right now but I don't like taking it off much, it is pretty thick compared to tissue or phone/news/catalog paper.

Use some of your old magazines...
Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM

I don't use paper. Instead I use old fabric.....curtains, sheets, clothes, poly/cotton fabric that is thin. I have a box full of cut 11'' x 11'' squares to use for string piecing. I like this better than paper because I can leave it on the block.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 AM

You can use dryer sheets if you don't mind a kind of rectangle and you can use paper towels, too.

Susan
Old 07-23-2014, 04:58 AM
dd

I used an old pad of the kids drawing paper that had turned yellow. Didn't like picking all that paper off the back. This time I'm using old fabrics. No picking this time.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 AM

I use the 10 inch paper piecing from missouri quilts there are 250 approx. Nice texture and already sized.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 AM

Old patterns would be the perfect thickness...and a husband thought of this??? You've got a keeper!!!