Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old quilt, happy story... >

Old quilt, happy story...

Old quilt, happy story...

Old 01-06-2020, 06:34 PM

I am so happy to know the family still have the quilt and also that it meant so much to grandmother. The fact that everyone knew what it meant to her is even better. I hope you not only get the picture but that the quilt comes full circle, back to you. Lovely read.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:58 AM

I thought that pattern looked interesting, so I grabbed a piece of graph paper and sketched it out. Then I used my Go! big to cut out a bunch of Hosts and got to piecing. You were saying you thought your piecing was bad, and in reply I say, check it out! Even with the supposedly painless Go cutter, I have to say that I still hate triangles, lol. Sorry, not sorry, as they say. 4 of those intersections are just abysmal, they are either overlapping, or no where close to where they should've. Miraculously, the center pinwheel lines up pretty close to perfect. My point is that when you look at it like a "normal" person, you don't see any of that. Just like Grandma(and your fellow posters) didn't see the problems with yours.

I cut about a yard if fabric total, so I'm going to have to torture myself more.

Last edited by themadpatter; 01-07-2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:26 AM

Love your story and love the design. Look what lowly 1/2 square triangles can become! This is certainly a treasure for you in several ways.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 AM

That is a beautiful story of how much the gifting of our quilts can impact someone’s life and extend to the family. I know that sometimes our quilts are not appreciated by the receivers of them but then there are stories like this one that restores our faith in our hobby and generosity in gifting. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 PM

First, thank you all for your kind comments - I'm so glad you enjoyed my little story. I really teared up on the phone with my sis that night, I can tell you. Thanks too for the kind comments on my quilting...we are surely our own worst critics. I think those we gift with our heartfelt quilts are *not* seeing them in the same light as we are! I had the opportunity to give another quilt away to a friend - who was SO enthusiastic about it, I was thrilled. It really does feed the heart to give them to folks who appreciate it.

Madpatter - so funny! I was tempted to throw some HST's together to see if I could recreate the pattern quickly but I'm trying to limit myself. I have several UFO's to get out the door before I start a new BOM this year (in wool applique, why not distract myself more?!) I hope you have some fun with it - I'd love to see a pic if you ever want to share!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
I thought that pattern looked interesting, so I grabbed a piece of graph paper and sketched it out. Then I used my Go! big to cut out a bunch of Hosts and got to piecing. You were saying you thought your piecing was bad, and in reply I say, check it out! Even with the supposedly painless Go cutter, I have to say that I still hate triangles, lol. Sorry, not sorry, as they say. 4 of those intersections are just abysmal, they are either overlapping, or no where close to where they should've. Miraculously, the center pinwheel lines up pretty close to perfect. My point is that when you look at it like a "normal" person, you don't see any of that. Just like Grandma(and your fellow posters) didn't see the problems with yours.

I cut about a yard if fabric total, so I'm going to have to torture myself more.
I also hate patterns with thousands of HSTs. Seriously- how do people do broken dishes quilts? The only way I convince myself to get thru them is bargaining: "just do 10 today...I need 150 so I can get that done in 2 weeks...)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your sweet story.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 PM

What a happy ending!
Old 01-07-2020, 05:32 PM

This is a wonderful story and the quilt looks great for a first quilt.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:36 PM

Holy cow, I finally got it to work!!
My block: (It's 12" finished)
cheshire-pat-paint-jpeg.jpg
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! ​​​​​​​Hallelujah, ​​​​​​​hallelujah, Hal-le-e-lu jah! (That's Handel, if you want to sing along in your head, lol)